Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: direct 3d or open GL

which one is better? which is faster and which has better graphics? i have never really been able to tell the difference between the two. should i be able to?

Some people say open gl is better on the gforce ti cards but I play nascar 2003 alot and I tried open gl a few days ago and it was stuttering like mad and the graphics didnt look any better to me, I think 3dm is better but that is down to the games I play maybe, but like I say in nascar I can get 145 frames with all the settings on and 1024x768 res so for me 3d all the way, I have a barton 2500+333fsb cpu and ddr 333 so when it was stuttering in open gl I new it was that and not my system. But like I say its all down to the games you play I guess but give both atry and see what U think, allso I seem to have alot more options in 3d than I do in open gl with the 44.03 detonater drivers so maybe the is an extenstion for open gl to get more options and then maybe it will work better.
    Bulldog_UK

openGL seems to demand a better overall PC performance, my opinion, on the other hand DX is more depending on the cards abilities. If u have a DX8 card, DX9 games play a lot worse. On the other hand openGL games play OK even in older cards.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

I am sorry I dont agree with you there mate, My ti4200x8 plays nascar 2003 witch is a direct x9 game better than a fx5600 256mb card dose as my brother has this card, I dont use the ti4200x8 anymore but I have it in my sisters machine and its better than the 5600fx256mb even in direct x9 games.
    Bulldog_UK

I see your point though as if there was another nascar 2003 witch was dx 8 then maybe it would play dx8 one better but we will never know that one because they wont make to games with x8 and dx9 as they would lose to much money lol sorry I didnt meen to critasise you as I should have read your point more clear and thats why i have re rote this to explain what i think you mean ok thanks.
    Bulldog_UK

I don't think one or the other is better, it just depends on what the game was designed to use. Many games can use one or the other, but most of them were designed with one of them in mind and will perform better with that one

personally, I'd like to see more openGL games (and more openGL deveopment)...but that's only because dX was designed by M$
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

On my system Unreal Tournament (original) plays much smoother and faster with OpenGL. It also looks better.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

can you set ut2k3 to use either dx or openGL? I was looking around for the setting but couldn't find anything...:confused:

I know it was possible with UT, but I can't find it with 2k3

I don't think you can with 2K3. But why would you? Original UT is based on DX7 and isn't very effecient with DX9 and the latest vid cards so it looks better in OpenGL. UT2K3 is very nice with DX9 and plays almost as fast as UT on modern cards.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

just wanted to try something different :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information