Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Battle Between Nvidia and ATI

Thats why I ended up just buying the MSI 4800, I knew I could plug it in and be on my way. I didn't feel like playing guinea pig.

Chez
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Quote Originally Posted by chezman
    Thats why I ended up just buying the MSI 4800, I knew I could plug it in and be on my way. I didn't feel like playing guinea pig.

Chez
    Also take into consideration that we have a bit of experience with computers, imagine a first time builder with less knowledge, if he gets into problems he might be scared of and never try to build again! :eek:

Maybe he instead just run to the nearest shop and buy god knows what heap of crap for what heap of cash.. :barf:

:cheers:

I seen that happen with a few of my buddies. Their harddrive goes bad and they throw the whole computer away and go buy a new one.
    NO BS, I had a friend do that once. He said it crashed and wouldn't start back up so I had to go buy a new one!
    I started running toward the dumpster...........it was gone already

Made someone very very happy.

I can't imagine how lucky trashman get with the stuff that people throw away like that.

My sister did it too. Although it was a pretty old mac. But I told her, at least you could have given it to me to see what it needed and I could have had a mac to mess around with, since I have never used one.

There are ALL types of people out there. Some are just meant to local computer shops in business.

Chez
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

With all the systems I have I will make it a point to buy an ATI my next go around.
    I just checked NEWEGG and they must have sold out of the card that you could "softmod" and it would become a really faster better card, that is what people where saying in the reviews. It was like a 7500 or something for 5US.
    I wish they still had it, cause I was going to buy it the other day.

Does anybody know of the card I am talking about, and what this "softmod" stuff is all about.
    They said it was hit and miss as to whetherthe card you got would open all "8 pipes" if the softmod worked?

Thanks in advance. Maybe I can pick it up somewhere else.

Chez
    the card that you want are the ATI Radeon 9500NON-PRO on RED PCB (the same PCB used on 9700's). Keep in mind that people have gotten the mod to work only to find out checkerboarding, artifacts etc..

i've heard that it's because 9700's with 1 (or more) dead pipeline were turned to 9500NP's, or 4 pipelines disabled. So, when u mod it back to 9700, all 8pipes are enabled, but there's still that 1 dead pipeline, hence artifacts.

So if you buy the 64mb 9500 NP, you can(hit or miss) mod it to a 9700NonPro(128mem bus + 8 pipes) and the 128mb 9500 NP --> 9700Pro(256 mem bus + 8 pipes).

hmm.. try e-bay.. i dunno if its reliable but then so is new-egg.. after all.. its a hit or miss.

To be HONEST. The only card I am going to get if I get anything ATI is what I ORIGINALLY inquired about, which was the 9700PROAIW when the price drops.
    And even then I will have to think about whether or not I want to deal with it.

I have been an Nvidia/AMD guy all my life, why change now?
    Not to mention the price $350, that think better kiss my a$$ when I turn it on orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr somethingggggggggggg.
    Cause my $200 Nvidia's do just about everything I could ever need or want, except for the TV thing.

Thanks though,
    Chez

Knowledge is POWER

I started running toward the dumpster...........it was gone already Made someone very very happy.
    ^^:laugh: ^^

lolololoolololololololololollololoolololololololol ololoololol

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could had me some spares.

Chez

I have an old P 100 chip for postarity. I wish I still had that 8088 my dad and I built. I bet that thing would be worth some money someday. Actually an 8086 would be worth more.

Chez

Knowledge is POWER

Everyone is certainly welcome to buy whichever card they want - thank god we live in free countries :)

I was just trying to make a point that the popular concept that the 5900 Ultra is faster than the 9800 Pro is not correct. Each card has its strengths and weaknesses, and each card performs better or worse in particular apps/games. Some sites declare the 5900 Ultra the winner, others the 9800 Pro.

As I said the smart money is on the 9800 Pro. If you know what you're doing, you can save a fair bit by buying this card and enjoy the great image quality to boot.

Now for people having problems with installing ATI cards, I repeat the single most common cause of these problems is that people remove an old Nvidia card and pop in the ATI card and expect it to run trouble free. You CANNOT - I repeat CANNOT - expect most systems to respond well to changing a major piece of hardware without a reformat/reinstall. This includes changing CPUs, motherboards, power supplies, and yes - even graphics cards.

If you want trouble free, whenever you switch a card (from Nvidia to ATI or vice versa) REFORMAT AND REINSTALL. I have had zip, zero, nil, none, nada problems doing this. It's frustrating for me because people just won't listen to this advice! :cry:

Read my post again and you'll se that I did bring that specifik reinstall problem up.. :)
    Nice to hear your card runs great though.

Note, in order to save money here on the 9800 I'd have to go for the 128Mb version, else it differs zip, zero, nil, none, nada in prize and the "smart money" is just as happy spent on Nvidia..

And I wouldn't count them out to soon though as the most gamers world wide still use their awesome products and will probably continue.. :) Why? Because they have always delivered great hardware and not to mention the software.. Yes they failed to make one card what it should have been, (5800) may they burn in h*ll for that.. God knows Ati never made a bad card, or some bad software to run it with.. : peace2:

Now I don't want anymore flaming aimed at me thank you very mutch, after all I just may get myself one of those 9800, more likely an 9900 when avaliable though.. Then I will see for myself how good they are.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    Read my post again and you'll se that I did bring that specifik reinstall problem up.. :)
    Nice to hear your card runs great though.

Note, in order to save money here on the 9800 I'd have to go for the 128Mb version, else it differs zip, zero, nil, none, nada in prize and the "smart money" is just as happy spent on Nvidia..

And I wouldn't count them out to soon though as the most gamers world wide still use their awesome products and will probably continue.. :) Why? Because they have always delivered great hardware and not to mention the software.. Yes they failed to make one card what it should have been, (5800) may they burn in h*ll for that.. God knows Ati never made a bad card, or some bad software to run it with.. : peace2:

Now I don't want anymore flaming aimed at me thank you very mutch, after all I just may get myself one of those 9800, more likely an 9900 when avaliable though.. Then I will see for myself how good they are.. :)

ok.. not to flame u or anything but the re-install problem is caused by nvidia drivers/registry entries not ALL being un-installed. You dont have to re-format, but you'd need the Detonator Destroyer(it finds and erases any nvidia trace from your computer).

I think this problem also applies to switching from ATI --> Nvidia.

And for the last time, both cards kick ass, the 5900 and 9800. you cant go wrong with either one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information