Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does a less than recommended wattage PSU make a video ca

How does a less than recommended wattage PSU or a cheap PSU make a video card act that requires a good power supply (300 watts or better) ?

The main prob will be instability and restartin' till the PSU finally kicks the bucket. 300w PSU's were ok a couple of years back but now 400w+ ones are usually needed with the high loads that they have to put up with now.

Cheap PSU are made with cheap components. So they won't last as long, or take the higher amperage draws that are expected with todays computer setups.
    Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
    And with a PSU, it is the backbone of your system, so you want to get something that is going to keep up with your other components.

Chez

PS Personally I remember when a 200w PSU would do the job, and 350's were overkill!

Yeah, what Wig-to-the-izzo said.

You don't want to have a nice video card and a cheap or insufficient power supply. Ninety percent of North American's nightmares are caused by system instabilities. Seventy-five percent of these instabilities are because of bad PSU's. You do the math. Scary, huh? :confused:

It will act as if it's not even on - just as soon as it tries to draw enough power from other components to cause your system to shut down.

Definitely a less than reccomended scenario, don't even try it.

Those specifications do exist for a reason on those components.
    Some of those specifications are worth paying attention to.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I have a 450 watt switching PSU (Elcheapo). If my system is left on for a long time my graphics have momentary slow downs. I also notice slight flickers in the background after the machine is well warmed up most of the time. Every thing works great for about an hour after a cold start and it seems like the machine will go a little longer problem free if graphic intesive programs are not used. An immediate restart always fix's the problem for about an hour or so no matter what so heat probably isn't the problem.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 pro. I've even tried unhooking all my fans and uneeded drives and anything else I could think of to save on the PSU but the problem still comes and goes in its same old style.

I also have another sytem with that same type of card in it that does the exact same thing so I'm either thinking that both systems PSU's aren't good enough for the ATI card or I should consider a differen't brand of video card.

I get no lockups or shutdowns just graphic lag in time.

If ya runnin' XP then go Control Panel/Admin. Tools/Event Viewer and see what red flags are bein' logged under system and software.

Whoever ~ it doesn't sound like a PSU problem you have. It wouldn't wait an hour then start giving you artifacts, then restarting and its fine for another hour. Especially on two different systems.
    Sounds like a strange problem. Although I don't think that it is your PSU.

Just my :2cents:

It sounds like something different to me...:shrug:
    It may very well be though?? !?!?
    Chez

Heat build up could also do things like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    If ya runnin' XP then go Control Panel/Admin. Tools/Event Viewer and see what red flags are bein' logged under system and software.

Under applications the only red mark is MsiInstaller.

Under system the only red marks are listed as ati2mtag and cdrom.

Does this mean anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information