Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dear Santa: Please bring new Graphic Chips

Well it looks like both Nvidia and ATI will have their next generation cards out in time for Xmas.

I just read this in this months CPU magazine ~ Computer Power User...

"Ati expects to release its R420 and RV420 graphic chips in November, just in time for the holiday season and on the heels of the scheduled release of the RV350 adn R360 chips in late August."

"The R420 should compete directly with Nvidia's NV36. NV36X, and NV40 chips. All 3 Nvidia chips should appear in time for the 2003 holiday season. Although the NV40, which will be Nvidia's first chip for a PCI Express board, will cut it close with a late-2003 release. The NV36 and NV36X should appear in the fall."
    ~CPU™ magazine - September 2003~

So if you are looking to get a new Graphic Card soon, I would wait a couple months a pick up one of those cards. Or wait till they come out and the prices of all the older cards should drop quite a bit.

Chez :thumb:

Yeah you are right, It looks like it would be stupid to buy a top of the line card now, but damn all this waiting is soooo booring..! :mad: :barf:

Nah.... with that kinda argument, you can NEVER buy a high-end card....

Why buy the 9800 pro if in a week or two, the 5900ultra hits the streets???? And why buy a 5900ultra, when you can wait a couple of months for the new flagship of Ati?????... and so and so...

Relax, donīt wait till xmas........buy and sell more often;) Thereīs always some fellow dying to buy what you want to sell :)

Nvidia roadmap

NV36 AGP
    NV36X PCI-Express
    NV38 AGP
    NV40 AGP and PCI-Express
    NV45 PCI-Express only

ATI roadmap

R360 AGP
    RV360 AGP
    R420 Loki AGP/PCI-Express

Quote Originally Posted by weta
    Nvidia roadmap

NV36 AGP
    NV36X PCI-Express
    NV38 AGP
    NV40 AGP and PCI-Express
    NV45 PCI-Express only

ATI roadmap

R360 AGP
    RV360 AGP
    R420 Loki AGP/PCI-Express

So from what I take it....a LOT of these new cards will STILL use AGP??? ( Just not the highest end models??) That is interesting! I am glad to see they will not be doing away with that anytime soon! I would hate to think I just purchased a asus a7n8x deluxe MB and all of a sudden everyone is switching their cards to pci express ONLY!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky1810
    Relax, donīt wait till xmas........buy and sell more often;) Thereīs always some fellow dying to buy what you want to sell :)
    Belive me I know all about that fact. But I'm about to build a whole new computer and with all this pci express fuss going on I'm seriously considering to wait a bit longer since I've got alot of info to learn about it. I may end up getting another better mobo than I was planning on buying. And since I've got other machines to play with I might as well wait.
    (I'm building a cheaper AMD one this month as well)

Besides It's not just a slightly faster gpu or cpu that's coming out it's all the rumors about this new pci express that makes me a little bit worried.. The chosen mobo/platform is always the most important thing to make the new system last a bit longer. Therefore I'ma stop talking now and start google up some facts about this new pci express thingy.. lol

I'm gonna wait a bit. The last time I bought a comp was this one, and about 2 or 3 months later (I think) they came out with the 533FSB and CPU's with a 512k cache. So, for now, I'll stick to playing UT2003. With the AMD Clawhammer, new mobos with PCI-Express, and all the new cards coming out, it seems foolish to upgrade now. I'm thinking of waiting till around february after all this stuff has been out for a bit and has been reviewed and tested and has great drivers, then I might get it. And if not, I'll be able to pick up a good upgrade (like a 800FSB Intel set up) for really cheap. Either way, I think I'm gonna sit back and wait a bit this time. Just my thoughts, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Thread Information