Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: nVidia BIOS Residuals?

I have two nVidia based cards on two different PCs. One is a GeForce 3 and the other is a GeForce 4 4200. I recently installed the latest drivers from the nVidia web site (44.03) and Directx9.0b from Microsoft. After installation both of my computers would not run existing games like Jedi Knight 2. My GeForce 3 card wouldn't even stay stable in Win2K )blank screen upon clicking an icon). PC #1 will pass the Direct3D test for Direct X7 but locks up on the Direct X8 tests. PC #2 will pass the tests, but locks-up with artifacts on some games that are graphics intensive.

I ended up re-installing a new copy of Win2K from scratch (new directory) on PC #1 as well as Win98 on PC #2. My GeForce 3 card still is unstable in every mode except forced VGA. The GeForce 4 card is stable but won't run any DirectX9 games. Is there any residual register settings in the video card BIOS that would account for this?

PC#1 - AMD Athalon XP 1.7, Via Chipset, 256MB PC133, Gigabyte MB, GeForce 3, Win2K & Win98SE
    PC #2 Intel 1.3GHz Celeron, Intel Chipset, 256M PC100, Soyo MB, GeForce 4 4200, Win98SE

:)
    Beware! The new 44.03 drivers apparently can set the video card clock frequency to a very hgih (> 200MHz) setting which can make the card unstable. Reloading Win2k with fresh, older drivers did not cure the problem. I had to use coolbits and reset the clock frequency back to the base 175MHz. Everything is OK now.
    BTW I did NOT overclock this card on my own!

Thread Information