Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radeon 9800 Pro "surging graphics" problem

Ye, you make a whole lot of sense Woody!! :thumb:

I've actually got a 1700Xp chip, but overclocked 100Mhz. This seems to be standard. You just use BIOS overclocking to get more? I've got a Volcano 8 (or 9?) sitting on the CPU but when its wound up it's frikkin noisy!

Also DOES agp4x make a huge difference over agp8x? It's suppose to have double the bandwidth ye? Can you see the results very readily in benchmarking?

Quote Originally Posted by jeputi
    Ye, you make a whole lot of sense Woody!! :thumb:

I've actually got a 1700Xp chip, but overclocked 100Mhz. This seems to be standard. You just use BIOS overclocking to get more? I've got a Volcano 8 (or 9?) sitting on the CPU but when its wound up it's frikkin noisy!

Also DOES agp4x make a huge difference over agp8x? It's suppose to have double the bandwidth ye? Can you see the results very readily in benchmarking?
    What stepping is your chip? It could be capable of tons more than that.

8x does provide more bandwidth but your card won't need it unless its a high end Radeon 9800 or FX5900.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

All modern enthusiast motherboards will come with an 8x AGP slot which your 9800Pro will take full advantage of. It allows it to communicate better with the northbridge of your motherboard and everything attached to it such as RAM and CPU. So it's not just the 8x capability of the AGP slot but the whole motherboard that would give you a speed improvement with that vid card.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

:shrug:
    Man! I don't know what I've changed, but the "surging" problems back!! I installed those Omega drivers and Quake was running prime. But on the website it suggests to turn off fastwrites, AGP video bios shadow... So I did, but then Quakes stuttering again!
    I know Quake 3 isn't a top graphical game but it's the point of the matter!!
    So now I've turned everything back on but the problem is still there! And UT2003 isn't running too sweet either...

"I can see a motherboard going for some frisbee...":shoot2:

Quote Originally Posted by jeputi
    the "surging" problems back!! Quake 3 isn't a top graphical game but it's the point of the matter!! And UT2003 isn't running too sweet either...
    Sell that card on ebay and get yourself a Nvidia card like the 5900 ultra or non ultra and then enjoy your games without problems like that.. Sorry but I just hate it when people becomes disapointed.. :( Just my :2cents:

Nahh...

A) If I sell it on Ebay I got HALF what I paid for it (which was bargain)
    B) If anything, I'll get another one from where I bought it!!
    C) I'll wait and see what my new board can do for me...
    D) I've seen this card in action on a mates PC and it blows on anything thrown it's way! (As I presume the 5900FX would, haven't seen it crank yet)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce:

Chech the Open Gl settings on the card.....AA=ap preference AF=ap preference HighQuality on textures and mipmap...Always off on wait for v synk and truform.. Try thoes settings..
    Asus P4G8X P4 3.06 W/HTT
    512 MB DDR333 Dual Channel Radeon9800 Pro. 128 meg
    WD 80 HD SE w/8meg buffer Windows XP Pro
    Gigabit Lan
    SB AudigyMP3+5.1

What exactly do you mean by "surging graphics?"

I'm beginning the think the problem is not with your graphics card but maybe with something else on your system. Like maybe you have spybots or a virus that is using system resources in the background.

The vast majority of people who buy these cards have no difficulty at all. If you have the ability to troubleshoot the card in a different system it would be very helpful.

Make sure there are no runing processes in the background when you play the games. Try playing the games in both direct3D and OpenGL to see if the problem follows.

Does the problem occur after a certain period of time or just randomly? Is it temperature related?

Intermittent problems like that are usually software related.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    What exactly do you mean by "surging graphics?"

I'm beginning the think the problem is not with your graphics card but maybe with something else on your system. Like maybe you have spybots or a virus that is using system resources in the background.

The vast majority of people who buy these cards have no difficulty at all. If you have the ability to troubleshoot the card in a different system it would be very helpful.
    Well, i read a review awhile ago, probably in Maximum Pc (excuse the spellig) and a online source, that a Radeon 9800 is blazing fast with there clock speeds, and my sources reported that some 9800 cards were defective because of there high clock speeds. On some cards, artifacts were spotted even though the card was at stock speed. Your gfx just might be defective.

:cheers:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

It's not the card, because it was working fine 2 days ago for awhile, but then I changed something (:shrug: ) and the problem's back.
    It's definitely driver related but I can't pin-point it! My settings are on "balanced", no vertical sync, and mipmap, texture on "high quality".
    Because I'm new round here, there isn't really anyone I can test my card on. But there's a LAN place, so I'll drop in with my RADEON and wack it in!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information