Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 9800 Pro "surging graphics" problem

Recently bought a Radeon 9800 pro and have installed newest catalyst drivers. reinstalled DX9.0b (as mebbe this was the problem). What happens is when I play Quake III Arena, or Planetside, or any game atm, the graphics "surge" past you - instead of fluidly. Anyone know the answer to this???

I'm thinking it's prob my mobo, SoltekSL-75KAV. Its got AGP4x, but PC133 512mb RAM, 1800XP AMD Athlon.
    Cheapie 400W PSU - mebbe this is problem aswell as I got a 4-port USB hub with modem, mouse n scanner feeding into it.

Hmmm. Playing MOH, it runs sweet. And the ATI demos I have run perfect aswell (Caves (awesome) and Monkey).

Dunno. :blah: :shrug:

I own a ATI 9800 Pro and I have no problem with Q3....On UnrealTournament I have a few grapics tears but nothing big!When I frist got mine I was having some problems with it and someone told me to go here http://www.omegacorner.com/index.html
    and try these drivers. And it fixed all my other probs!
    Asus P4G8X P4 3.06 W/HTT
    512 MB DDR333 Dual Channel Radeon9800 Pro. 128 meg
    WD 80 HD SE w/8meg buffer Windows XP Pro
    Gigabit Lan
    SB AudigyMP3+5.1

Man, you ought to upgrade your mobo and RAM, your holding your Vide Card and CPU back.

Ye I know! But ca$h is always a problem!!

Was just playing UT2003 and again runs sweet except for some slight graphical tearing aswell. All graphics are turned to full.
    Does A/A fix this sought of thing? Or A/Filtering?

Also, should I keep my Cpu and get a dual-channel DDR AMD board, or get a 865PE Intel board , but then have to shell extra for a P4 cpu (thinking 2.66 533FSB). Spose the new cpu will crank harder... :D

Keep your CPU, and get an nforce2 mobo, and some decent RAM, when you plan to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jeputi
    should I keep my Cpu and get a dual-channel DDR AMD board, or get a 865PE Intel board , but then have to shell extra for a P4 cpu (thinking 2.66 533FSB). Spose the new cpu will crank harder... :D
    Well keeping your amd stuff would be cheapest, but if you decide on Intel then get a cpu with 800Mhz fsb and not the older 533..

Those can be had in 2.4 2.6 2.8 3.0 or 3.2 ghz speeds and overclocks like hell with good ram. You should get the 2.4 one which is quite cheap and they often reach 3 ghz or even higher aircooled..

Man, trey1005!! Thanks BUD!! those Omega drivers did the job PERFECTLY!!! Everything runs super sweet! There like pills for your Radeon except the settings are still stoko!
    I can't believe people put so much time into things like that just to give them to people for free!!
    Anybody with a Radeon card - go there!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeputi
    Ye I know! But ca$h is always a problem!!

Also, should I keep my Cpu and get a dual-channel DDR AMD board, or get a 865PE Intel board , but then have to shell extra for a P4 cpu (thinking 2.66 533FSB). Spose the new cpu will crank harder... :D
    Here's the deal: For some reason when you ask for advice on what to buy in this forum you get people who are either pro-intel or pro-amd telling you what's best for them rather than what's best for you. If it's not that it's the NVidia vs. ATi debate.

Here's my observations: You are "cash strapped" right? You seem to be interested in game performance right? You just spend a crap-load of money on the best gaming card out there.

Here's the facts: You have a decent CPU but older RAM and older motherboard that are holding down the performance of your system. You would like to upgrade all three (CPU/ mobo, RAM). You have a kick-ass vid card and when it comes to game performance that is the single most critical factor in your system. As long as you can feed that vid card the rest of the system won't make a huge performance difference whether you stay with the 1800 and upgrade the mobo/RAM or you go all out and get a 3.2GHz P4/875 chipset (here come the flames :D ). But this is true....what the hell difference does it make if you can get 400FPS in Quake3 instead of 280FPS? Like I always say, a $400 vid card on a $200 mobo/CPU will outperform a $200 vid card on a $400 mobo/cpu any day when it comes to 3D games!

If you really want to save money and get a good performance increase I would recommend keeping the 1800 for now and picking up a good NForce-2 mobo with lots of options along with a couple sticks of DDR400 RAM. You will need to new RAM regardless of what platform you get but a good NForce2 mobo will only run you an extra $125 or so. Drop the 1800 in there and overclock it to hell. If you fry it it will be an excellent excuse to go out and buy a Barton chip! :D

Of course that's just me....if you really want to try an Intel system you could go out and buy stuff similar to what Soulburner built. You will only spend a couple hundred extra bucks and game performance will be comparable. Of course Soulburner thinks he has built the second Messiah but at least he's proud of it.

You can then take your old components and set up a second system with a few extra inexpensive parts which is always good.

I hope you find that helpful.

BTW....I haven't had any problems with ATi drivers in my 9700. I can't easily use third party drivers because I have the All in Wonder version. I'm glad you fixed the problem.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

No prob man anytime!!!!!
    Asus P4G8X P4 3.06 W/HTT
    512 MB DDR333 Dual Channel Radeon9800 Pro. 128 meg
    WD 80 HD SE w/8meg buffer Windows XP Pro
    Gigabit Lan
    SB AudigyMP3+5.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information