Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PCI Express

It's a shame that we'll have an x16 port for the graphics. By that I mean that if all the ports were the same, we could go back to SLI setups like the old Voodoo2's !!!:2cents:
    SPAM Special Ops

Originally posted by [b]weta
    Graphics cards using PCI Express tech will, however, require 75 watts max, and that means a few things. First, the 12 volts on an ATX power supply won't do the trick. The answer will be to use a 2x12 connector with the same pinouts as server SSIs, which requires a 300W power supply.
    The other problem is that machines will need to use side panel vents, ducting, and use large fans.
    Recap = More Heat & More Power.

What will this do to the SFF cases out there ?
    :rolleyes:
    SPAM Special Ops

Wow, thx for the info Weta! :) . :cry: I wanna build a comp now, I dont wanna wait till Spring *sniff sniff.* *Sigh* anywho, these new Video Cards sound insane, will they still run older games? Or will the bug out like the 9800 does (GTA3, etc)? And the prescotts. Sound great, but WHY does Intel stay with 32-bit? Dont they realize that if they combined speed with 64-bit, they could own the market? And why does AMD stay with such low speeds? Gah, its so annoying, if they would just combine the technology and speed concepts, we could have some wicked CPU's out there. Of course that would ruing the little game they have going on :D . Just as an opinion question tho, what would be wiser, going with an AMD 64-bit CPU and Windows 64-bit, or a Prescott or Intel P4 EE and staying with 32 bit? It seems in the long run that everything would go to 64 bit eventually (despite Intel putting it off), so the former would be the wisest. Also, The Athlon kicks major arse in games, so all the more better :thumb:. Ah well, looks like I'll continue my tally to a later date. Thx again for the info! : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Mista K6 Intel does not think moving to 64 bit is necessary yet because most programs do not need to address more than 4gb of memory at a time.

AMD cannot push their processor clock speeds higher because of the way they work. They do more per clock cycle to make up for it and at the same time are not capable of such high clock frequencies.

To answer the question about A64 or Intel, the best right now would be go P4 XE. If you go AMD you are going to be screwed when they change everything making upgrading not possible. Not to mention blowing your life savings on putting it together in the first place.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Well, the Intel's probably will be quite expensive too (except for the Prescott's, those do look nice, especially the 3.2GHz for only $278 :D ). But if I got an AMD, I'd get one after they come down alot. I was wondering if the no north chip/FSB archietecture is a better design. However, the Prescott's seem to spank all, according to the Inquierer they are 10-20% faster than an P4 of the same GHz, while hte P4 EE is 5-15% faster. Maybe I might go with a Prescott anyways. Ah well, time to do some research :geek: . : peace2: Mista K6

P.S. Sry for getting off the Video Card topic :o

EDIT: Oh yah, almost forgot. Would PCI-Express boards use DDR-I RAM and be made for Prescott (still Socket 478?) CPU's? Seems to me that I just might build a system during X-mas, using a Prescott, DDR-I, a 9800XT, and w/e mobo is fast + good. That way I could re-cycle the RAM and CPU if I ever have to upgrade to a PCI-Express card :D
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

An introduction to PCI-Express

If you really want to know more about the forthcoming PCI-Express bus, then make sure you read this great little article on the subject.

weta : The mobo in the pic you included has a new layout.
    I realize that mobo is for demo purposes only.

I do think the current layout needs to change however. :2cents:
    SPAM Special Ops

E^vol: It's a BTX motherboard, they should start showing up around the middle of next year.

More information

Geez, where have I been ?? :o
    I'm looking forward to seeing these new BTX mobos and cases !
    SPAM Special Ops

Intel partner ATI pushes PCI Express for all its worth
    Theological document claims other stuff is rubbish

Distributors and partners of ATI have received a document which explains the Canadian firm's strategy on PCI Express.
    Well, it's a little bit more than that. The document we saw is positively theological in tone, claiming that the year 2004 will see the most significant upgrade to PC architecture for 10 years, as Express displaces the "venerable" AGP and PCI standards.

ATI further claims it's at the vanguard of a "wave of innovation", and is the "primary validation" Intel partner for PCI Express.

The document further says that the best way to move to PCI Express will be fully dedicated single chip graphics processors, to replace redundant AGP blocks. That will improve performance, lower cost and increase power.

Surprise! ATI has one of these in the pipeline. But "less efficient" graphics implementations of PCI Express are only PCI Express compatible, using a second chip to bridge slots on the motherboard. Such "compatible" devices will cause failure points, consume more power, create performance bottlenecks and introduce software incompatibilities.

Wonder which companies ATI is thinking of?

The Inquirer

More information PDF doc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information