Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PCI Express

Sweet.. like the pic now i am wondering what the plans are for transferring everything else to pci express.. now i just wish they could increase the throughput of hard drives... lol.. i know.. always wanting faster and better...shame we still use the technology invented like 30 years ago.. for transfering info.. i think pci express is a giant leep in the right direction for ultimate pc's..

Eventually any hardware that's available for AGP and PCI slots will be ported to PCI Express.

Except for SATA.

And we don't need to expand the data bus for Hard Drives, they don't even use all of the available bus today.

Not even the 74gb Raptor which is the fastest SATA/Desktop hard drive in the world right now uses it all.

It doesn't even use all of ATA133....unless you put it in RAID.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

i have a question just like this .... could i buy a video card that uses PCI EXPRESS and put it on a normal mobo and just increase the pci mhz?:rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by XblackdemonX
    i have a question just like this .... could i buy a video card that uses PCI EXPRESS and put it on a normal mobo and just increase the pci mhz?:rolleyes:
    Nope, they are totally dfferent technologies, and PCI Express totally owns an old PCI slot. It is in the realm of 100 times faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    Except for SATA.

And we don't need to expand the data bus for Hard Drives, they don't even use all of the available bus today.

Not even the 74gb Raptor which is the fastest SATA/Desktop hard drive in the world right now uses it all.

It doesn't even use all of ATA133....unless you put it in RAID.
    That has nothing to do with what motherboard interface it will use in the future.... by that logic out modems and sound cards would ALL still be ISA. Now that doesn't make much sense, does it....

Once the new standard is introduced, EVERYTHING will be availiable in PCI Express format...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    That has nothing to do with what motherboard interface it will use in the future.... by that logic out modems and sound cards would ALL still be ISA. Now that doesn't make much sense, does it....

Once the new standard is introduced, EVERYTHING will be availiable in PCI Express format...
    I think you need to refer to the post I was replying to :rolleyes2.

And no, PCI and PCX are NOT pin compatible.

Think you misunderstood me what i was asking when they was going to come out with faster hard drives. I know that we dont' use the current speed available ata 133.. What i was wanting to know why are we so limited in the about of data that can be transferred from the hard drive. I mean ... we can get this things spinning at 20000 rpms now.. yet we are still going to be limited to just 133 mb/sec bandwidth. i think i am going to invent a 200 mb/sec hard drive with only 7200 rpm and see which one is faster with transfering files. LOL...

Has anyone been over to the nVidia site yet? They seemed to be getting pretty hyped up about PCX. www.nvidia.com

Oh yah, it keeps saying Intel's development, but if its going to be an industry standard, wouldnt AMD incorporate that into their chipsets too? :?:

: peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    I think you need to refer to the post I was replying to :rolleyes2.

And no, PCI and PCX are NOT pin compatible.
    Weren't you responding to Wiggo? If you were responding to something else from many posts earlier, then you're gonna have to quote it, so that we know what you are talking about.

If I am reading the thread, and Wiggo says, "everything is coming out in PCI-express format" and you say, "Except S-ATA, because there is no way S-ATA can use the added bandwidth" It is very clear that you were responding to Wiggo.

If you are not, like I said, you're gonna have to quote who you're responding to... Its no big deal, just a misunderstanding... :thumb:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Yeah I was responding to Wiggo.

From your post it looks like you were talking about something else...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information