Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geforce 4 TI 4200 AGP 8x vs. Radeon 9600xt.

Any of you know if a Radeon 9600xt will out preform my Geforce 4 TI 4200 with 8xAGP. The Geforce 4 still costs more than the much newer 9600 xt. Is the radeon better for newer games? or am i better off just keeping the geforce, and save up for a 9800... I have noticed the GF4 is not preforming as well with new games. And I am looking forward to playing future games like Half Life 2 but i dont think my current grfx card will do.

yes, the 9600xt is quite a bit better than the gf4 Ti series, as well as being directx9 compatible. if you search around, you will find some benchmarks comparing these cards as well as the other recent nvidia and ati additons.

in fact, there is a new article on the main page about this very card:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=580

and here is an article from last month which contains a larger variety of cards in the benchmarks:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=560

*just goes to show you what a little searching can do for you* ;)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Awesome. Thank you very much. I can actually afford this one :)

grimace d00d, hold up there m8!
    my trusty 4200ti just went belly up putting me in a very similar vessel to you, if it's not too late then hold onto your ti and wait till the 9800xt comes into range. heres why; in the past 48hrs i have gone from my 4200ti to a 9600se to a 9600 pro to a 9600xt and now to a 9800xt !! along the way i have read every friggin review/benchmark/comparison whatever that the internet can offer and here are my conclusions;
    4200ti vs the 9600's - bottom line is theres not a big enough difference in performance to justify a $200 expense. the 9600se is worthless, the pro is better than the 4200 and the 9600xt owns them both, but not by that much. in other words you won't see any improvement in games your already playing but the bench's will show a hefty margin (pixel stuff and fill rates especially) between the 9600xt and the 4200ti. but when doom3 and hl2 hit town the 9600xt is gonna struggle and you will be left feeling undergunned.
    now the 9800xt on the other hand...........is a whole new story! after just a couple of hours of use i am totally in love with it, it rocks!
    i'd rather have my old 4200ti and $500.00 but hey, c'est la guerre ;] hope that helps you anyway.

:afro:

A crap dude I already bought it and installed it... and sadly scratched off my free halflife 2 thing so i can't take it back. Your so right I got the same with my 4200 if not BETTER!!! This really blows... I'm gonna sell this system to my brother and buy a new one from cyberpower systems. Check this rig out :)

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/high...tem/9800xt.asp

And its for like half the price I've seen anywhere else with a whole bunch of neat extras.

If anyone can find any major faults in this rig let me know.

oh well, we tried ;] but hey, sounds like you got a good thing planned anyway, if you pull that off you'll be straight coming up!
    that system looks sweeeet btw. ;]

:afro:

Try a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra for under $200. 3DMark03 gave it 2 points better than my ATI Radeon 9800 running it in the same system and compatibility with software kicks butt compared to the Radeon card!

I do not believe that the 5700 (4 pipelines) can beat a 9800 with (8 pipelines). :hammer:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

grimace,
    Have you checked out the 2d quality as compared to the old Ti4200 board? If you do any amount of actual work with your PC (like I am forced to do), you should see a good deal better visual quality in the ATI board. Every ATI product I've used so far has given considerably better overall graphics quality when compared to their nVidia counterpart.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I updated the 3.8 catalyst to 3.9 and it seems to be running a bit better now. I have noticed the colors and smoothness of the Textures ingame are much easier on the eyes. But what i was really hoping for was more Frames per second. They don't drop as much as my Nvidia card but they don't go above what i already had. But stability will do for now i suppose. I pretty much just wanted to switch to ATI because of the many high recommendations of work users and gamers alike. By digging around and tweaking the card I have been able to improve performance over the 4200ti 8xagp. Not a day and night difference but it preforms well and seems to be a bit more stable than my original card. I'm still a noobie to overclocking and need to do alot more reading before I start really messing around with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information