Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce 3 Ti500, what am I loosing?

IMHO, dont bother upgrading unless you get everything, otherwise you wont see the true benefits of your new system. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting bicycle tires on it: sure the engine is fast as hell but you're going to be going slow and wobbly everywhere. Wait till you get some $$ for a good video card, then buy everything and enjoy the system. Hell, if you buy a 2.4GHz (and PC4000 RAM) and then O/c it to 3GHz, you'll have a faster computer AND $75 towards a new video card. That's almost half of a 9600XT. I dont know what else you're buying for your new comp, but if you give us a list, maybe we can help you get some better deals for faster stuff, and save you even more $ for a better card. I just hate to see people choke themselves like that. Anyways, think about it, you won't regret getting a better card with your new system. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Beefy Guest

I was running a GF3 up until about 4 months ago. There's nothing wrong with the card, really. The only thing lacking is true DirectX 9 support, which is just fancy effects and so on. Games will still run fine (especially with that PC), but you just won't see all the special stuff that a lot of other people can. It's not really going to choke your PC that much.

However, having said all that, I don't know how much longer it will be able to play current games for. Once the next gen games start coming out early next year, you'll want to consider getting a new card at some point. Which I'm sure you are anyways.

What would I do in your situation? Keep the GF3 until about March / April next year, and then get a middle range card or better. You'll be set for a while then. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I've got a computer savvy friend who still uses a GF2MX. He's got an Athlon 2700+ XP, but hasn't upgraded his video yet. Why? Because he doesn't need to. :) It still plays everything.

Quote Originally Posted by saburrito
    with a GF3ti500, everything set on low for q3a? :eek: :eek:
    yeah, it's not b/c of the vc it's b/c of the p3 :geek:

-sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.
    oh man, thx for the tip wiggo - at least i noe y im switchin...

:cheers:

-sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I was running a GF3 up until about 4 months ago. There's nothing wrong with the card, really. The only thing lacking is true DirectX 9 support, which is just fancy effects and so on. Games will still run fine (especially with that PC), but you just won't see all the special stuff that a lot of other people can. It's not really going to choke your PC that much.

However, having said all that, I don't know how much longer it will be able to play current games for. Once the next gen games start coming out early next year, you'll want to consider getting a new card at some point. Which I'm sure you are anyways.

What would I do in your situation? Keep the GF3 until about March / April next year, and then get a middle range card or better. You'll be set for a while then. ;)
    well i was considering getting the 9600xt since it's only 7... but since im addicted to q3a, ut, and hl, then i will stick with my gef3 for now... mayb in 3/04 ill get a major card

[b]
    EDIT: Forgot to mention. I've got a computer savvy friend who still uses a GF2MX. He's got an Athlon 2700+ XP, but hasn't upgraded his video yet. Why? Because he doesn't need to. :) It still plays everything.
    well, playing is 1 thing, but im interested in KILLING EVERYBODY on the level...

:snip:............................:shoot3: :grr:

............................:rofl:

-sweet

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    well, playing is 1 thing, but im interested in KILLING EVERYBODY on the level...
    Oh, even with a GF2, this guy is probably one of the better gamers I've seen in my life. He's got this uncanny knack to be able to kill in FPS games. In CoD and BF he's always in the top 5 every game...

A video card will only do so much in gaming. :) It can't replace natural talent.

Well, I used to have my Old GF2MX in this *reminisces*, but after Ghost Recon I switched to UT2003 and it simple would not play. Like 800x600 w/ no goodies on. You couldn't see a thing. Now with my Ti4200 I cranked the rez up to 1280x960 w/ FSAA (Quincunx) and all the goodies on and I'm in the top 3 every match, usually #1. It helped me alot. But then, on not so graphics intense games like BF, it probably wouldnt :shrug: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.
    i have xp home and a 2.4c. my hyperthreading is useless? explain that to me please youve gone and confused me:confused:
    ASUS P4S800 motherboard
    P4 2.4ghz 800mhz fsb HT @ 2.84
    geiL 512 PC3200 RAM
    80GB 7200RPM HDD
    PowerColor Radeon 9600XT
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Creative Inspire 6.1 6600 speakers
    Dell Sony P1110 21'' monitor

OK someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I only use pro anyway), but hyperthreading makes the CPU act like two but the home version only supports 1 CPU where as the pro version is multi CPU capable (plus with even more features).

Beefy Guest

OK someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I only use pro anyway), but hyperthreading makes the CPU act like two but the home version only supports 1 CPU where as the pro version is multi CPU capable (plus with even more features).
    As far as I know, that's about it. Plus HT isn't really of much benefit in software unless the software has some kind of support for it. Which is why it's good for professional editing and the like, but not really a lot else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information