Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce 3 Ti500, what am I loosing?

I am building a new machine based on the P4 3.00 GHz 800FSB CPU. I planned on using my (now) old video card, the GeForce 3 Ti500. But I thought maybe I will be choking the whole system by sticking to this old card.

So I started doing research on a new card, which I can afford. So far they (GeF5900, and the Rad9800) are around $400-$500, which I don't want to dish out right now.

So I am wondering, what am I going to loose if I stick to the "old" card?

I play Q3A as my all time fav, but will be going to H-L, and UT (Unreal Tournament) for multiplayer action, and even Homeworld2 when the machine is up and running.

Now that I think of it, should I switch to Windows XP, or is sticking with Windows 98 sufficient.

tia,
    sweet

Switch to XP, it's much more user-friendly and looks a bit nicer too ;D

You won't lose much, playing your old games like HL will run even better with that kind of cpu, just dont expect your fps to skyrocket in newer games (DX9 compatible maybe?), you need a good video card (with DX9 support if necessary) coupled with a good processor (i.e. your P4 3.0C)
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ T-bred A (RIRGA) --soon to be replaced by a 2000+ T-bred B from my friend
    Geforce FX5200
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 8MB buffer
    FIC AU13 nForce2SPP
    350W Antec TruePower
    52x24x52x CD-RW drive
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Aspire X-Dreamer
    Windows XP Professional

Quote Originally Posted by saburrito
    Switch to XP, it's much more user-friendly and looks a bit nicer too ;D
    Thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by saburrito
    You won't lose much, playing your old games like HL will run even better with that kind of cpu, just dont expect your fps to skyrocket in newer games (DX9 compatible maybe?), you need a good video card (with DX9 support if necessary) coupled with a good processor (i.e. your P4 3.0C)
    I didn't understand your answer, except for HL and UT being old games.

I am already using DX9 with my current system (P3/450MHz, GeF 3 Ti500).

So, I *do* need a better card other than my GeF 3 Ti500?

tia,

In other words that graphics card is fine if you plan to stick with your old games but if you want to play the latest games on your computer you are going to need a 5600 ultra or 9600 xt minimum:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

yah, radeon 9600xt's go for $167, best mid-range card out there. Also, has anyone ever gave you the "get a 2.4C CPU + a good mobo and RAM and o/c it to 3Ghz because it's much cheaper" talk? With the overclocking ability of P4 C processors, its a hell of alot cheaper and faster than buying a 3Ghz. Anyways, just ask if ya wanna know the details :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I constantly find myself playing the role of underdog. No expert here .... but yes your system would run the newer games much better with a newer video card ....the GF3 will be a choke point in newer games. However: You do not NEED a better video card to play the newer games. You will prolly have to settle for lower graphics settings to keep them at a playable framerate but they will still be very playable with the card you now have. It all boils down to what you are willing to accept for now. If the money isn't there right now then the card you have will do the job untill you can afford to upgrade the card.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydude
    In other words that graphics card is fine if you plan to stick with your old games but if you want to play the latest games on your computer you are going to need a 5600 ultra or 9600 xt minimum:thumb:
    OHHhhhhhh... perfectly clear. Now I see that sab really did say that afterall. thx rugby.

:shoot3: :bounce:

-sweet

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    I constantly find myself playing the role of underdog. No expert here .... but yes your system would run the newer games much better with a newer video card ....the GF3 will be a choke point in newer games. However: You do not NEED a better video card to play the newer games. You will prolly have to settle for lower graphics settings to keep them at a playable framerate but they will still be very playable with the card you now have. It all boils down to what you are willing to accept for now. If the money isn't there right now then the card you have will do the job untill you can afford to upgrade the card.
    To quote Mr. Burns: "Exxxcccellent."

so thx for the great reply. i will play my old games multi-player and it will be cool, but if i buy new games i will play them multiplayer but with diminshed graphics quality. np - u shld c how i play q3a now - everybody is sarge, all flat power ups, ...etc.

-sweet

with a GF3ti500, everything set on low for q3a? :eek: :eek:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ T-bred A (RIRGA) --soon to be replaced by a 2000+ T-bred B from my friend
    Geforce FX5200
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 8MB buffer
    FIC AU13 nForce2SPP
    350W Antec TruePower
    52x24x52x CD-RW drive
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Aspire X-Dreamer
    Windows XP Professional

Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    I am building a new machine based on the P4 3.00 GHz 800FSB CPU. I planned on using my (now) old video card, the GeForce 3 Ti500. But I thought maybe I will be choking the whole system by sticking to this old card.

So I started doing research on a new card, which I can afford. So far they (GeF5900, and the Rad9800) are around 0-0, which I don't want to dish out right now.

So I am wondering, what am I going to loose if I stick to the "old" card?

Now that I think of it, should I switch to Windows XP, or is sticking with Windows 98 sufficient.
    Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information