Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, problem with FX series cards

Yep stickin' a new video card (AGP ver. 3.0) into that mobo maybe dangerous to hardware as it carries the old universal version 2.0 AGP slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Yep stickin' a new video card (AGP ver. 3.0) into that mobo maybe dangerous to hardware as it carries the old universal version 2.0 AGP slot.
    Ah rats, voltage issues! That makes the whole point of my original question irrelevant. I shouldn't grab a better card because it could fry this box. :steam:

A new Mobo would probably require a new processor, and new (DDR) RAM. That's almost as expensive as the new high end cards.. either would boost my performance into the stratosphere but it would also wreck my budget. Would be nice tho. I could get a 2nd machine with a mobo with a NIC built in and add a combo Firewire/USB/SATA/EIDE card (fear the possibilities).

Anyone need their old VHS home movies/wedding videos converted to VCD or DVD? :D <----- needs some extra $$$ NOW, lol...

Most likely fry the video card but ya old Athlon/Duron will still work in moderm mobo's though yes ya will need DDR memory but those alone will give the old processor a new lease of life as the SDRAM is stranglin' the CPU's bandwidth still.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Most likely fry the video card but ya old Athlon/Duron will still work in moderm mobo's though yes ya will need DDR memory but those alone will give the old processor a new lease of life as the SDRAM is stranglin' the CPU's bandwidth still.
    Money's a major issue. When I get some, I'll be upgrading the CPU anyways. Heck, at that point I'm going Athlon-64.

If anyone knows of a "high end" sound card with on board memory that works with Linux, that would be a plus, too. :)

Beefy Guest

Not really a 'high end' card, but there's plenty of onboard RAM - http://www.theworldwide.org/tek9.asp...cific=jnnogrm8

I have a 5900 and it does not take up a PCI slot.

But this is not because of the model of the card, all cards are the same size (thickness). This has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with how big the thermal solution the manufacturer mounted on it. This will vary.

Besides my board has the AGP slot offset so no matter what its not taking up a PCI slot (good job ASUS).

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Quote Originally Posted by raveolution
    Ah rats, voltage issues! That makes the whole point of my original question irrelevant. I shouldn't grab a better card because it could fry this box. :steam:
    AGP 2.0 is capable up to 4x, and 3.0 up to 8x.

8x cards are also 4x compatible, they will just run in 4x mode instead. No harm done.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Beefy Guest

Isn't there a voltage difference between older and newer cards? I've seen warning on motherboards that say you should only use a 1.5v card...

In opinion I don't see any point in waiting for the new technology to come out and then get that because before long that brand new spanking card will be very out dated verrrry quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Not really a 'high end' card, but there's plenty of onboard RAM - http://www.theworldwide.org/tek9.asp...cific=jnnogrm8
    Ooh, that looks really good. It doesn't have a lot more info, though, like exactly what model of card it is. I wonder if Linux has drivers for it.

It's darned tempting, though, especially the price (I won't even speak of it because people might notice and drive it out of stock as I'm researching, LOL).

Hey Soulburner - I'm sold on ASUS now. LOL. What kind of mobo is that? Do you know of any good ASUS solutions for a built in NIC/USB2/Firewire? I know I should beware of locking anything into the mobo, but it might free up PCI slots for when I decide to go for a new comp.. and if there really is a Linux-useable Soundblaster card with 256mb on board RAM, dang, I'm going to be doing some soul searching on how to get the dollars to get a new system....... ah, the joys of DDR-SDRAM and being freed from ISA dependency......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information