Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: advice on which videocard to buy...

Hey everyone,

Just bought a spankin new compaq 6500NX, cant complain about anything at all with the exception of the graphical capablities. It came with "integrated graphics" The system costed $750 with a dvd+rw, monitor, decent speakers, and an athlon 3000+!! I figured at this price I can upgrade the video card myself and save. Ok so the games I need this baby to play are Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, and Halo, among others. It can not, of course, play the aforementioned games. What do you guys recommend as a graphics card? I dont want to spend over $125, but if I have to I will because I bought the games already. I was looking at an ati9600 for $95 at newegg...I dunno, please give me some suggestions/possible websites,

Thanks
    rustydud:hammer:

Well I dont know where you saw a r9600 for $95 at newegg, just make sure you don't get anything ATI with se in the name, or nvidia with xt in the name. Both of these *respective* initials mean real ****ty. You are going to have to spend a little more, or you will end up with junk if you are wanting a current model. Beware of the ****ty memory trick. This one powercolor r9600pro 400/600 has the fast memory. And this one powercolor r9600pro 400/400 has memory that is 33% slower, similar price..

These are examples. But the first one would be a good choice.
    Some gf4 ti cards can still be found and are a better choice than the current low/mid models. Like this one jayton Ti4200 128 . But definately kick in the extra $15 for this msi highest end(for ti) ti4600 , for the $ you wont find anything better at newegg.

Now I just hope you have an agp slot after all this typeing.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maximus7001
    just make sure you don't get anything ATI with se in the name, or nvidia with xt in the name.
    However, if you swap them around (SE on nVidia, XT on ATi) then in most cases you'll be getting a slightly better card. Weird marketing, ain't it?

I was told by someone the new Via KM 400 chipset, the one my comp has, is not compatible with the radeon 9600 series. Anyone agree with this?

--------
    Phil

The only thing that would make it incompatible would be a very old AGP slot (2x).

What's the M for? Micro ATX? Mobile?

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Beefy Guest

I'm guessing Multimedia (as in onboard sound)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I'm guessing Multimedia (as in onboard sound)
    And intergrated 8X AGP S3 UniChrome graphics core w/ built-in MPEG-2 acceleration and is enabled with DuoView technology for multi-monitor support though I've yet to see a mobo enable this last feature. This chipset is aimed at the SOHO market and has lots of compatability probs with many video cards (there use to be a list of compatible cards but I can't seem to find it now though it wasn't very accurate but does better than the original KM266).

Quote Originally Posted by maximus7001
    nvidia with xt in the name. Both of these *respective* initials mean real ****ty.
    I agree with the 5600XT being crap (how nVidia lives with themselves after that steaming pile, I don't know). But the 5900XT is a good card. Its only slightly slower than a 'full' 5900, and for the money it is a great card. IMO, the 5900XT is a much better cxard than an ATI 9600 XT, and costs about the same amount.

Thread Information