Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU affect Vid Card performance?

I bought a 400W PSU for my 9800XT. I know this thing is a beast so is 400W enough?
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

Beefy Guest

Depends. If you were running with a bare motherboard and a video card, then it's be heaps. If you were running a couple HDDs, a couple optical drives and a handful of case fans, it should be ok. If you're got 4 soundcards, 18 case fans, 8 HDDs in RAID 5, a tower dedicated to CD / DVD burning with 20 burners in it and a USB cup warmer, then you could be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Depends. If you were running with a bare motherboard and a video card, then it's be heaps. If you were running a couple HDDs, a couple optical drives and a handful of case fans, it should be ok. If you're got 4 soundcards, 18 case fans, 8 HDDs in RAID 5, a tower dedicated to CD / DVD burning with 20 burners in it and a USB cup warmer, then you could be in trouble.
    :rofl:

It should be fine as long as its a good brand, what brand did ya buy?

: peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Beefy Guest

It's the cup warmer that'd kill it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dyck15
    Nah- overclock it till you can light your cigs off the heatsink!

ouch...i'm going to assume the first part wasnt sarcastic.

The card is an OEM ATI, and I have 2 120mm fans with one hard drive. I assume by the joking response that a 400W is more than enough. I only worry cause it seems like the standard PSU is around 500W now and I keep hearing about what a power hog the 9800XT is
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

Beefy Guest

It's like saying, is a 4hp motor enough to power my boat? :) You didn't tell me how big your 'boat' was, so I don't know if it's enough to power it...

It's like saying, is a 4hp motor enough to power my boat? :) You didn't tell me how big your 'boat' was, so I don't know if it's enough to power it...
    I jus read that a few times over and I have no idea if you answered my question or not :shrug:
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

Not only is the wattage the thing to worry about but the quality of the unit as well. Quality PSU's will likely peakout much higher than than rating but generic PSU's usually find it hard to live up to their's so what brand did ya get as not only video performance can be affected but the overclock potential and system stability as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information