Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: radeon 9000pro lockup

the HSF that comes with retail AMD CPU's is only good under ideal conditions with no overclocking (which is why i always invest in OEM CPU's). In other words, the stock HSF can get the job done, but it often does not. If the environment your CPU is in is less than ideal (hot ambient temps, poor case cooling, ext.) and/or you have overclocked then it is quite possible that the stock CPU isn't quite up to par.

However, temps is only one thing that could be causeing your problem, but it's an easy one to rule out.

*btw, have you overclocked your CPU or GPU? Excessive overclocking could also cause major stablity problems
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I initially had GeForce fx 5200 card and installed dx9, but the game wouldn't recognize dx9 (?), so I changed back to radeon 9000pro and reinstalled dx8.1.

In C&C Generals, the game starts and then when I start the mission screen, the computer beeps once and the computer locks up.

I haven't tried overclocking at this point.

My system:

Gigabyte GA-7VT600
    Barton 2500+
    512MB crucial
    2 CD roms
    2 HDD
    SBLive Platinum 5.1
    Radeon 9000Pro 128MB

if you cant "play" the game, then i suspect something with your drivers/dX....

try running the direct X configure/test program see what happens....

does this happen with other games as well?

I haven't tried any other games yet.

How do I run the dx test?

go to Start -> Run -> "dxdiag"

btw, what OS are you using?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks for the info.

I was running WinMe, but I upgraded to 2000 last night and also installed dx9 from a game. I don't think it's 9b, but the mobo disk has 9b. Should I install 9b?

I installed the Gigabyte monitor program. There is no mobo system fan. Temps were running around 100F, but couldn't get a reading when game crashes. The cpu fan was operating ok and temps were around 130F. Do I need a system fan?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the r9000pro. Make sure it's fan is working and oil it along with the rest of the fans. Whatever you do, don't stick that crappy fx5200 back in there. And throw that me in the garbage.
    Ok, if you want your machine to work properly, this is what you need to do...
    Download and save to cd, the latest via hyperion drivers and the latest ati catalist drivers and control panel.
    Make sure everything is clean. Make sure your psu can handle your new hardware(very important). Get 2 case fans of the apropreate size or bigger(bigger is better), one for the back one for the front(minimum). Remove all electronics from the case. Cut out the stamped fan grilles leaving no trace of metal shavings(very important). Get some arctic silver 5 or ceramique and properly apply to the cpu and gpu. Do not do upgrade installs over used operating systems. Reformat the hd in ntfs and install win2000 by itself(since you already have it and it is good). At the first desktop, install the via drivers following it's prompts(very important). Then head to windows update and complete (all) the updates including dx9b, don't do the ati update offered by win update. Once that is all done, install the ati drivers.
    If you follow this exactly, and have no other faulty hardware, then everything should work fine like it is suposed to.

What kind of psu is powering everything?

psu wattage calculator

via drivers page

arctic silver instructions
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble