Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems with ti4600

I bought a PNY geforce ti4600 off ebay (hopefully I wont regret it). The man told me it works "perfectly". I got it at a bargain, I couldn't resist.

Anywho, I put the card in the brown agp slot securely, download the driver at nvidia.com (10 megs), and, turning the antivirus software off, install it, reboot the system as it told me to...and Battlefield 1942 still plays the same, where I can't see anything except black.

I have a spankin new compaq 3000+ XP. I don't know, maybe its my chipset or something, but how come it won't improve (or give) my comp graphics, assuming it works OK? Am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Phil

What video card was in your system before? Could be that you have a driver conflict especially if you went from ATI to Nvidia. Did you uninstall your previous drivers? Might be worth starting over with your video drivers. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall all video drivers ... restart and install the new ones. If you want to go one step farther there are a few programs designed for removing all traces of previous installations. The program I've been using is Driver Cleaner http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ ... just download and follow instructions.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Ok now I "made" the vid card work but the minitower shuts off. I obviously need more power to my s6500nx compaq...or something. What should I do?

HELP! I WANT TO PLAY COD!!!

thanx

Beefy Guest

Do you even read replies? PrairieDawg asked a handful of fairly important questions, and you didn't bother to answer. We can't help you unless you help us...

Note: It's a compaq...

I never had another vid card in the system before, so those suggestions wont help anyway...I didnt mean to dis Prarie Dog, sorry about that.

rusty

Beefy Guest

Do all games do the same thing?

Did you turn off the onboard video in your BIOS? I'm assuming you have onboard since you said you said you never had a vid card before

Onboard gfx use drivers too. The proper procedure for switching from ob/gfx to agp/pci is similar to from one agp/pci card to another. With no gfx card in, uninstall the ob/gfx drivers through add/remove, or device manager. Then power down, put the gfx card in, attach the monitor to it, then turn it on going straight to the bios and selecting the proper type of gfx (agp or pci) instead of ob. Now save/exit. When windows loads, install the nvidia gfx drivers rebooting when done. (I believe your bios like most that have ob and an agp slot, the choices are combined for this. It will give you 2 choices, onboard/agp or pci.)
    If it doesnt work properly after doing this then something wierd is up.

edit...Some other ideas. You said it is new compaq, I would assume it has xp home. Would you happen to be running with no windows updates? Or possably still be using dx8.1 or dx9 or dx9a? If so, todays gfx drivers require dx9b to function properly or even install at all. Companies like that tend to warehouse these things for some time before sale. Making various drivers/software obsolete and incompatable with some newly installed drivers/software upon initial use months/years later.(nobody ever thinks about this)
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

maximus,

I'll try your advice and tell you if it works. THanks!

rusty

As far as DX8 or what my comp has, I though this came with the driver nvidia provided...I have, however, updated xp to its fullest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information