Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 9800 Pro or 5900 XT

I don't seem to be able to find much in the way of good reviews that I can apples to apples compare these cards. I won't have the money to pruchase a card for about a month (hopefully less than if my tax refund check comes quickly). I like the idea of getting a good OC from 5900 but I haven't had wonderful luck with that in the past (but if they are 5900 chips i should be able to get close to 5900 core speeds with a decent heatsink?)

Any suggestions. I really am not sure which is the best choice and which brand of card as well (looking @ the MSI for the 5900xt)

btw I have a 2.26 P4 @ 2.55 on a apg x4 board right now.

thanks for the help.

Rule of thumb

Never touch an nVidia card that has XT as part of it's name.

Also, never touch an ATI card that has SE as part of it's name.

Try TomsHardware.com I believe they have some decent reviews. Their conclusions sometimes don't match their own graph, so make sure you pay attention to their graphs.

Here is Tom's latest massive chart
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

but most reviews of the Xt have been very favoriable, also the 5900 xt is a 5900 Pro underclocked and most reviews have been getting 5900 Pro or faster speeds by overclocking them some have even gotten 5990 speeds (and i believe 5900 Pro preformance as well)... so i guess i don't understand why this card should be automatically ruled out because of its name.

Unlike the Se radeons...the xt are quite good from nvidia.

the xt's core is the same as the 5900 and the 5900 ultra, but im pretty sure the ram is different. so, you might not see the same performance from the xt and a ultra

heres the guide from tom's hardware: http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphi...229/index.html

thx for the link, I read some where that ATI is now "dumbing" down its 9800 Pros (to make more room for the 9800 XT) which makes me wonder if those results are still accurate. Now if I can get a Pro that is the same as the old pros or dare i dream a underclocked XT (ati) card, I think think it is pretty clear that the ATI has the advantage (the 20 dollars difference doesn't matter).

Two more questions:

1. I am currently using a ti 4400 I have heard that people have been having trouble moving from nvidia to ati, should i worry about this? (this was one of the reasons i was hoping the nvidia would be about the same as the pro... not to meantion it would be fun to oc the XT)

2. I have heard some about bios flashing to OC the ati's what is this all about? Would i need to flash the bios in order OC the Pro? that is a little more risk than i am willing to make right now.

If i were you I'd get the Radeon 9800XT because it has the best capability possible right now for upcoming games Halflife 2 and Doom3, in a thread I red here the frame rates were around 60 fps with Halflife 2.

Also Nvida has some trouble with the Dx9 area with Halflife 2, so For right now Ati is the way to go, but who knows when Pci express comes out its a toss up until I see some Reviews.

Ati+Amdfx51+10,000 rpm Raid 0 array=Happy camping(might piss other gamers off though) The camping part.... :flames:

Also it is true Nvida to Ati and Ati to Nvida, but this comes with not throughly cleaning up the Driver and other fragments of Ati's or Nvidas up.

A program called Regcleaner will deal with this, but check in the Windows\system and registry just to be sure you remove it all and also Windows\system32\Drivers
    www.download.com has Regcleaner

Kudos to the Editorial staff for the Ati guide, I found it most helpful when upgrading from 4.0 to 4.3 :cheers: :wink:

the 9800xt is clearly out of my price range and from what i hear it is a waste of money right now becuase new cards are coming out soon (so there is no point in getting top of the line that will be a midrange card in about a month).

The sapphare 9800 Pro is a good card?

The sapphare 9800 Pro is a good card?
    Yes, I own one and I love it..its almost as good as my 9800xt. I would get the 9800pro and upgrade to a new card in a year or so.
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro