Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 9800xt w/ 256mb showing strange objects

sorry to bother you all with technical problems, but there little support that i can find for my issue.
    i just bought a asus 9800xt w/ 256mb. i must say that this is the biggest hardware project ive ever taken on, so please bear with me.
    at first, i physically installed my drive into my computer. i hear that this is a no-no, and should have installed drivers first, and may be the cause to my problem.
    next i booted up, and noticed strange pixel discolorations on my splash screen(the windows logo). there would be a cm wide blocks of discoloring. then, i logged in no problem and started to install my drivers from the cd. all seemed well.
    first thing i wanted to do was benchmark. 3dmark03 gave me a 6313, which was astonishing to me with a previous 2592. Although it was SOOO nice looking, i had problems with the tests, and not to mention, regular games. on the tests, there would be these strange irregular 3d "bars" on the screen. they were colored bronze/goldish and had properties like regualar objects in the game(depth, coloring, shading), except they were really out of place. it was obvious they didnt belong. they really showed up on the nature test in the 3dmark(hopefully you know which one im talking about.) they came out of the trees and went in all directions. Also, the background would flicker into the game screen at times.
    I then went on Asus and DLed the newest drivers, but to no prevail, i still had the problems. IN FACT, they seemed to be getting worse. right now i even have a new symptom of the screen "angle"ing out. it like changes from usual rectangle to a trapeziod-type deal.
    All of this is only really happening on games, i can be at my desktop fine, however my mouse sometimes has some discolored pixels. nothing major, but still, i think, fixable.
    from my analysis, this all seems software realated. bc the card works, fps is way up there(for me at least), but there are some orientation problems i think with my system.
    i am thinking about clearing all my drivers and starting with the newest drivers off the asus site. im not sure if this would be a good idea though.
    please help, me. i am new to hardware and have nowhere to turn. any help would be greatly apprieciated.
    specs:
    processor - intel p4 2.80ghz
    ram - 1gb
    video card - Asus 9800xt with 256 ram
    240 V power supply
    WINXP Home

240 V power supply
    Maybe thats your problem?
    Try giving a screenshot for us to see...
    Atleast get 350W or 400W cost about 20 - 40 dollars for generic ones.

What was your previous video card?

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/zesite/index.html
    strange looking, eh?
    i previously had a ati 9600 w/ 128. i thought it was brand name, but when i took it out, it had no manufacturer markings(maybe because it was OEM) btw i am running a gateway 500XL.

240 V power supply
    Except for people in the US most of the rest of the world runs 220-240v but what you should of told us was its rated wattage instead and then others like Buhaha21 wouldn't get confused.

ahhh, im pretty sure i found the problem. My video card temperatures, at idle is
    GPU: 136F (58C)
    RAM: 127F (53C)
    wow! i think its safe to say, even with my little experience, that this is way too hot! i definately need to hook some fans or cooling system in here. the strange thing is that this card has two fans on it already. Perhaps my power supply is lacking with all these new upgrades ive made, like additional cd drive, more ram, new video card, and now maybe the fans on it are running slower than they should.
    although, i also read a review for one user who exerienced bad cooling with the card too, perhaps the card itself?
    well anyway thanks for your help guys :D

The GPU temp is fine but the memory is getting a bit warm so what happens to those temps when you run with the side of the case off? If it drops 5C or so the your case airflow needs to be looked at.

with case cover off, im getting:
    GPU:56C
    RAM:51
    not much difference, but actually ive been playing with the case off today and a real fan :wink: right in front of it. has been staying around 50 GPU, and 41, even during intense gaming. And there is no sign of that crap i was getting. it definatly was getting too hot, causing some kind of corruption in the ram maybe? im gonna get some fans installed, as i have no knowlegde of anything like that. kinda weird, because, i was looking around and peoples werent that far away from my previous post's temps, and none of them complained about those strange things in the game. for some reason my config is different like that, and therefore im gonna try to keep around the 50GPU/41RAM range at all times.

Well thats nice to hear :wink: .

Thread Information