Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What power supply for 9800XT?

RADEON™ 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
    Don't you get it? That means even if you're running a Duron at 1.6GHz with 128MB of RAM, you need a 300W PSU. Now turn that into an Athlon XP 2800 with a few PCI devices and maybe a 7200RPM HDD or two, you'll need to get a better PSU.

But go ahead and get your 300W PSU. We'll all laugh when it breaks and you've wasted your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Don't you get it? That means even if you're running a Duron at 1.6GHz with 128MB of RAM, you need a 300W PSU. Now turn that into an Athlon XP 2800 with a few PCI devices and maybe a 7200RPM HDD or two, you'll need to get a better PSU.

But go ahead and get your 300W PSU. We'll all laugh when it breaks and you've wasted your money.
    In my first post i said i have an antec 330W right now.

Either way, it doesn't matter. That might hold a R9800 Pro. Like amd_man says, an Antec 400W or something of similar quality would be much better.
    But it does depend on your system quite a bit... With what I've seen of it so far, I wouldn't depend on that PSU of yours to hold all of it up. Exactly what processor do you have?

Well... i have p4 2.8ghz 800 fsb, 5400 rpm 80gb seagate.

My main concern is that since i bought a case(lanboy) that came with the psu, i would be wasting money to buy another psu to replace the one that i have now and havent even used yet.

Off-topic: you might consider grabbing a 7200RPM drive. It would really complement the rest of the system.

I understand that you don't want to waste money, but a 330W PSU is almost guaranteed to be insufficient for that system with a Radeon 9800 Pro or XT. You're likely to end up wasting your money replacing hardware if you don't upgrade your PSU.
    Besides, you can always save the PSU for later. If you even get a new system, you can put it back in this one and use the 400W+ you purchased in the new one.

That's just my :2cents: It is possible, but unlikely, that your current PSU can handle the video cards your thinking about. It is, of course, your choice.

Thanks. Btw this is a pc that i'm building right now (the old hdd i just put in cos i had it and dont want to waste money) ill see what happens but i will probably take your advice and get the antec 450w solution as i said before. I was considering getting another HDD, but i dont have broadband so the extra space would be waste for the time being.

I wouldn't call it a waste of space. The HDD will actually go faster if it's bigger (hard to explain).
    But if you don't need space, you should consider getting a WD 36.7GB 10000RPM HDD. It will go incredibly fast without giving you uneccessary space. It's actually more expensive, though, and if you don't have a motherboard with SATA....

No, i meant i would be unlikely to use as much as would be in 2 80gb hdd's. Ill probaly get one later.

I know... If you just wanted one for speed because you don't need the space, you could get a WD 36.7 GB Raptor. Very fast but low on space. Perfect for OS and games. Files and stuff can stay on your 5400RPM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information