Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What power supply for 9800XT?

What power supply should i need for 9800XT? i have a 330w antec right now.

It depends on the rest of your specs. Although odds are that won't be enough, I'd recommend at least a quality 400w power supply for any modern setup with a 9800XT, although at least an Antec 430w would be best.

That seems like a lot of power. I have one HDD, 80gb. 2 optical drives, 1 ram DIMM, processor, 2 case fan, modem, p4p800s and thats all. not including monitor, keyboard/mouse and speakres.

With that setup would it be enough?

And if its not, what card should i get then? (money is not an issue)

Like he said, a 430W Antec would be really nice. And if money isn't an issue, get a X800 Pro or X800 XT instead of a Radeon 9800XT. They are more powerful.... Much more expensive though.

In ayn case, get a Antec 430W or something like that. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Yeah, i just looked up the price for a 450 antec solution PSU, and its only $99 so ill get that and the 9800 pro since its only a little slower. Since i have to upgrade my PSU (from one that i havent even used yet, as im building a new pc) it will work out better(ie cheaper) just getting the pro.

I pulled this off the ati.com website.

RADEON™ 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

And for any of todays half decent systems ATi's recommendation is about 100W+ to low.

Quote Originally Posted by shuaib
    I pulled this off the ati.com website.

RADEON™ 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
    Bleh, thats bull****. Stick with the suggestions of a 400w+ PSU

OK, If it was really 400W+ then they would have been going on about it like they have with the 6800 ultra that needs that kind of power. But i didnt hear a peep about it, except from you guys.

Anyway I think I'll stick to the reccommendation of the guys who actually make the card, rather than the guys who buy it, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information