Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce 6800 Ultra vs. Platnium Pro

Im ordering a new computer this afternoon. I was set on getting the Geforce 6800 Ultra, but after reading numerous reviews, im not sure. I am in the midldle of these two cards, GeForce 6800 Ultra and ATI radeon X800 P.E. WHat do u all think about these two cards?? If THE ultra didnt have support for Shader 3.0 i would defintately go ATI. What is the significance of pixel shader 3.0, is anything come out using this feature?

Nothing is out yet for 3.0 and most guesses seem to be that there won't be any for at least a year.

Long term, the NVIDIA card has to be the better option with support for PS 3.0. Personally I would wait a couple of months and take the PCI-Express route. Get yourself an NV45 and a DDR/DDR2 supporting motherboard, upgrade to DDR2 memory later, when the price becomes a little more realistic.

i thought they were using ddr 3........nonetheless, the nv 40 is the nv45 w/ a bridge...i can't wait

JSR: I was referring to the motherboard's memory, the graphics card uses GDDR3.

my bad.........but, still, weta...........can you confirm? i believe this to be true about the nv 45 being todays nv40 w/a bridge........from what i can surmise, this bad boy will double current performance when the time comes........pci express and 3.0/32bit

I'd wait a while and see what comes out. Get a mid-range card or maybe a 9800 Pro, if you get anxious. If you want to spend a lot of money on a card, wait and see what the best performer with pixel shader 3.0 support is.

Don't worry about getting a board supporting PCI-E later on. A PCI-express card will have pretty much exactly the the same performance on a bridge as on a board with a PCI-Express slot. Currently, there is no difference in virtually every existing application between AGP 4x and 8x.

However, if you don't care much about the future, than the X800 is the way to go. There's currently no need for pixel shader 3.

true.....it is the cheapest of the "more than you need" cards currently..........although the nv 40 gt may compete w/ it

Yes the theoretic numbers look good but seeing as software now can't make full use of an 8x AGP (it only just exceeds 4x AGP atm) what the hell is all that extra bandwidth going to do? Plus check out those power specs. :shock:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information