Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 9800 pro not working help plz

I went ahead and ordered the PSU.

Yeah I hadn't even thought about getting data on the heat from my mobo. I used to have asus probe but it was lost when my c drive "crashed" on me. Can you download that from some where? Or are there any other programs that will get that info for me? sorry for the n00b questions but I haven't fooled with this stuff for about a year and a half (when i was ocing this computer for the first time).

btw thx a lot for all the help, will update this once i get my psu installed.

You used to OC that computer? Maybe you damaged some component when you oc'd it (risk you take) and now you are seeing the aftermath when you use this new card. Perhaps your motherboard's AGP flopped out on ya (happens sometimes, not common though).

But yes, a PSU is a good thing to upgrade, especially from a 300Watt to a 450Watt.
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

I stay away from Asus Probe since it was well known as being about the worst utiltiy available in terms of accuracy. I have heard that later versions got better, but I became jaded and just stay away from it. You can download Motherboard Monitor (MBM) for free from almost any geek utility site and it does a decent job as long as your mainboard has temperature probes built in. Most do and have done so for many years now so odds are good it will work for you.

And yes, keep us posted on the progress. Hopefully it takes care of your problems but if not we'll be here.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: New 9800 pro not working help plz

well the PSU didn't fix my crashing.

so i went ahead and underclocked the card to try and see if heat was the issue. And underclocking appears to help (obviously I don't want a card underclocked all the time though).

So i guess my question is: What is the next step?

I was thinking i might try taking off the heatsink to see if it is on correctly (though I would need to purchase some thermal paste, is artic silver still the best?). But if i do that and it doesn't fix it then I think i just voided my warrenty. Right? How about if i just take it off and put it back on would that void?

The other option seems to be to send it back to the company which would take a long time and would probably cost more (shipping).

It seems to me that a card should run fine at its defualt clock speeds in a decently cooled case (which it doesn't) so something obviously not right with the card. Right? what do you guys suggest?

well i took off the heatsink and I think i may have found the problem.
    http://photos.imageevent.com/theberk...puheatsink.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/theberk...ize/onegpu.jpg

as you can see on corner of the chip and heat sink has very little thermal compound.

Do you think this is the problem?

Not really, if you want add more. Did you switch from an nVidia card to an ATi card and just uninstall the nVidia's drivers? If so, that could be your def. problem. I would (this is me speaking) reformat (in the case that you just changed cards w/o reformating) and go from there. If it still doesn't work, then complain to ATi, i don't think taking off the HS voides warrantly, besides there are stickers on it that say it will.
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

I did just uninstall the nvidia drivers. What should i have done (other than a reformat as i don't have the space to back everything)?

But it seems to me that heat is clearly the problem. A driver problem shouldn't be affected by heat (hench the fan making it work better) or by underclocking it, right? Though i would be interested in what else i should have done besides unistall the drivers (i should do that no matter what I would think).

My thought is that one corner had very little to connect it to the heatsink which if it was true would seem to cause a problem that is simalar to what i am having.

Check out the ATi catalyst driver installation on this website. It should tell you how to show hidden devices that used to be connected to your computer and how to delete the old files so windows won't freak out.

If infact it is a heat problem, you could try and buy more thermal paste, or try a new VGAcooler.
    -Michael Stanley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information