Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI 9800 Pro with SiS746...not working..

Default Re: ATI 9800 Pro with SiS746...not working..

R9800 Pro says it runs at 8x/4x...meaning it will run at both. My bro's comp is a VIA, which runs only at 4x, and the R9800 Pro works in HIS comp. So, I think it really is just some stupid compatibility issue because of SiS cheap manufacturing.

This isn't a normal compatibility issue as it hasn't been noted that I'm aware of. Is the mainboard still covered by a warranty where you could RMA it?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I believe it might be a compatibility issue because with an older model of a motherboard from SiS, the Radeon9700Pro wouldn't work at all, no matter what. Neither groups (SiS, or ATi) took responsibility for the issue, just saying it was compatibility issues.

As for the warranty, its already done which is annoying. What was the idea about trying to change things in the BIOS? THat sounded like it might work, but I'm not 100% sure how to mess with BIOS. As for the chipset drivers, I do have the latest for my AGP slot.

As for the power supply, Ive even tried taking out the power from my CD drives, so its only sending power to the vid card and my hard drive (only 1 hard drive, 40gb). So, either way, it cant be a power issue.
    Last edited by Oresama; 07-21-2004 at 05:16 AM.

If it is truly a compatibility issue, then playing in the BIOS won't be of much use. That only makes small changes that can enhance performance, not change how your chipset communicates with the peripherals. Have you tried sending off an email to the support folks at ECS to see what they say? Make sure to note that you have tried the vid board in a VIA based motherboard and it works fine so they'll not shoot a standard reply of "it must be a faulty vid board".
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    AGP 4x = 1.5v
    AGP 8x = 0.8v but many will still run at 1.5v (not all though)
    Ah, wow, thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Yah, I emailed ECS, but they really have a bad reputation for customer service, so they havent replied yet, its been like 3 days.

I just returned the card, so dont worry about it anymore. Thanks for the help

That's a shame. The R9800 Pro is a very good card still. Any chance you can update the mobo?
    My Toys

I will eventually, yes. Get something real nice.

By the way, I had installed the 9800 Pro in my bros comp, and when I went to reinstall the 9500 Pro into his comp, I realized I didnt have the 9500 Pro CD. So, how can I go about installing it? Do I just simply need to put hte card in and then install the latest drivers from ATi?

They use the same drivers. Depending on the OS, it should just recognize the cahnge in vid board. If not, then uninstall all old instances of the drivers and use the newest available from ATI. And unless there are some great utilities or games on the R9500 disk, you can just toss it or use it as a coaster.
    My Toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information