Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: The Different Brands of 9800

Default The Different Brands of 9800

I'm looking to upgrade my FX5200 card to a 9800 (not pro). Problem is, there's so many companies out there, so my question is, does each company make their card in such a way as to vastly increase its performance over the same card made by another company? If there's not a company with a definitive edge over others, I figure I'll just go for price.

Default Re: The Different Brands of 9800

Usually, there isn't much difference between the companies (though there have been times when a company can do a really good job of it). Some cards are nicer to overclock, some are just striped down or underclocked version of the ATI version to sell at a lower price.

Personally, I would go with the Sapphire card (farly decent cards at a good price), or the one straight from ATI. And I would suggest that you get the Pro version, around $40 usd for a card that could last for years to come.

I agree. Sapphire or ATi is the way to go.

Sapphire, Power Color, or HIS and ATI. If you get lucky, and get a card with i think 3.0ns memory chips, then you can overclock it or flash it to a pro. Correct me if i am wrong on the memory chip number. But i dont think they make those anymore, so if you can't find those then its better getting a PRO.

I'm pretty sure 9800 Pros use 2.8NS chips, but there may very well be 9800s with Pro hardware. A study of the ATI BIOS collection at www.ocfaq.com may allow you to figure out which.

I have had good experiences with Sapphire as well. I currently own a 9800 Pro, which overclocks alright and performs just fine on it's own. It was about $195 when I got it, so I'm not complaining.

i'd stay away from sapphire 9800s if they havve 128 bit memory. or was it some other company? anyway, stay away from 9800s with 128 bit mem.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I'm pretty sure 9800 Pros use 2.8NS chips, but there may very well be 9800s with Pro hardware. A study of the ATI BIOS collection at www.ocfaq.com may allow you to figure out which.

I have had good experiences with Sapphire as well. I currently own a 9800 Pro, which overclocks alright and performs just fine on it's own. It was about $195 when I got it, so I'm not complaining.
    I meant the nonpro :)...cause there would be no point in a bio flash if it was a pro. But the new nonpros don't have good mem chips like they use to..now that you mention it..they had 2.8ns (np). The same with the pros..but ever since people figured out to change it to pro, manufactuers switched to 3.0ns chips, causing the overclock to be low on mem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglee
    i'd stay away from sapphire 9800s if they havve 128 bit memory. or was it some other company? anyway, stay away from 9800s with 128 bit mem.
    All 9800 comes with 256 bit mem..unless its an SE version.

But some SE versions still have 256-bit memory. To check this look at the memory chips and if they're in a straight line then they're 128-bit but if they're in an "L" shape around the core then they have 256-bit though both types will still only half the pipelines in use.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know about the 2.8 and 3.0 difference, but I'm not planning on overclocking the card. And since the 256 bit version is only $40 extra or so over the 128 bit card, why go with the lesser quality. I'm figuring Newegg is my best bet as far as a deal, unless you guys can recommend anywhere else where I could maybe get a special deal. Besides that, it's just checking the local stores for special sales.

Thread Information