Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual SLI NVidia 6800 (God-send Or Cursed)

Default Re: Dual SLI NVidia 6800 (God-send Or Cursed)

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Umm, no. He also mentioned Dual X800 for the video card, the part I mentioned had nothing to do with dual GPU's.
    Ooh, I see, I missed where he said that Dual processor part lol, thought you were still talking about the two Nvidia Cards on the SLI. And everyone else, this is not a "should I thread" it's a discussion thread on your opinions of this new technology.

Personally, I feel that the PCI-E is just another gimic that's going to die off like many other things. Technology is killer like that, the Tablet PC never took off, and I don't think that PCI-E will really be making any strides either. And for refrences, I've just consumed a six pack of Smirnoff .
    Contruction Begins:

Windows XP Pro, AMD 64 Athlon FX-53 w/Hyper Transport, ASUS A8V Deluxe- VIA 8T800 Pro Motherboard, 2 GB (4X512) OCZ Dual Latency PC4000 (DDR-500) RAM, ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Pro High Def 7.1 Surround, 74 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM Main Harddrive, 36.7 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM Secondary Drive, Sony 8X Double-Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Sony 12X DVD +/- RW Drive, Sony 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, 3Com Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Adaptec USB 2.0/Fire Wire Dual Card, 650 Watt Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe Power Supply, Generic Floppy Drive, Generic 10-In-1 Media Reader w/Fire Wire

Cost: $3800

Next: Tower to fit it all, Cooling Systems, Fans, Pimpin' Out

PCI-E is a must. Graphics might not take advantage of it for years, but that's not the only part of PCI-E. It does away with the PCI bus and allow for much faster devices to be used in PCI (PCI-E, that is) slots. It's especially important for servers and high-end workstations as in getting rid of the need of PCI, it also means no more need for PCI-X. That means using fast devices, such as SCSI and SATA controller cards, without paying much more for PCI-X. PCI-E is certainly useful, it's just not yet needed for video cards. In that area, it only provides more bandwitdh to something that has more bandwidth than it can use. Maybe in a couple years cards and applications will take advantage of PCI-E. Until then, it's not worth worrying about unless you will actually make use of the PCI-E slots.

Also, unless I missed something, I haven't heard about ATi having SLi or similar for the X800's. Make your own conclusions...

For gaming, no dual cpu's aren't necessary, and really a waste. It would be cool though. However, if you actually do rendering alot, for example, that might justify the extra CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver62160
    And everyone else, this is not a "should I thread" it's a discussion thread on your opinions of this new technology.
    I don't believe we need you telling us what to talk about in your thread, as its over a page long now and the answser has pretty much been answered and threads just have their ways of wandering off topic in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    Also, unless I missed something, I haven't heard about ATi having SLi or similar for the X800's. Make your own conclusions...

For gaming, no dual cpu's aren't necessary, and really a waste. It would be cool though. However, if you actually do rendering alot, for example, that might justify the extra CPU.
    Yes, I do some rendering every once in a while when I get bored.

Someone spare me an Athlon XP 2400+ This 1800+ is killing my frame rate... I don't have any cash, damn I need a job.
    Athlon XP 1800+ DUT3C 1.53ghz @ 166*11.5=1.91ghz | Chaintech Apogee 7VJL | 2x256mb DDR333 PC-2700 | Powercolor Radeon 9600Pro 128mb EZ 400/400 | Lite-on 52x24x52 | Pioneer 108 DVD-RW 16x Dual Layer Dual Format | Xbox USB Modded Controller

If it's just now and then, I really wouldn't spend the money unless the coolness factor is something that's too much to say no to.

Another part about using (almost) about using anything in dual form is that the software using it has to be enigneered around it to get the fullest from it, the same also goes with the 64-bit proccessors, they might give a bit of extra preformance with 32-bit apps, but will really shine when 64-bit apps take full use of the added support.

Actually in a dual video card system it really only needs to have propperly written drivers as its the drivers that tell each card what part/s of the screen each is to render and nVIDIA reckons that that was easily solved (no doubt by former 3DFX employees).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information