Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ATI Video card settings ?

Default ATI Video card settings ?

Ok bare with me on this one.

First off i was always a 3dfx fan, and when they went under i hopped on the Nvidia band wagon. Recently i purchased my first ever ATI card. The Sappire Radeon 9800 Pro.

So far the card is great and i replaced the crap heatsink/fan with an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. I have yet to o/c this card and it still runs like a dream.

Anyway my question is what is Smart Shader and should i have it set to a particular setting? I turned temporal AA on after reading that it does a little better on the AA settings (guessing kinda like Nvidia's Quintux?). I know this question is a bit odd and newbish, but again i have never owned an ATI card in my life until now. So some of the settings it has are a bit new to me. Thx for any info you can give me on some of these unique ATI settings. =]

Default Re: ATI Video card settings ?

Smart shader changes how your image is filtered in games. Like "Black and White" makes the image color in games black and white. Thats about all i know about that. I bet darth will be telling you more or Yawg.

Rather than provide you with specific information, I'll just point you to www.tweakguides.com. Go there and read the ATI Catalyst installation guide. Assuming your drivers are working fine, you can just skip to the parts about all the different settings you can change.

BTW, I have the exact same card and cooler as you, and it OCs quite well (I use ATI Tool for that, BTW). If you can get some Arctic Silver 5 and replace the thermal compound the cooler comes with, you should be able to overclock well past XT speeds, although it's not guaranteed. You may even be able to flash it to a 9800 XT...

If I were to try to get the ATI 9800 Pro to XT speed, what should the settings be? Unfortuneately, I can't flash it since it uses a different core from the flashable ones.
    -Case - Aspire X-Dreamer (Silver)
    -Processor - P4 2.8C OC 3.26GHz
    -Motherboard - Chaintech S865PE Socket 478 Intel® Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Intel 865PE + ICH5
    -RAMs - pqi TURBO (2 x 1GB) DDR400 Dual Channel 2.5-3-2-5
    -Graphic Card - HIS ATI 512MB X1650 Pro
    -Hard Drive - Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb cache (250gb)
    -CD Drive - NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A

Just overclock it as high as it will go for both core and memory. Start with memory and see if there's a balance of the two that works best for performance. It doesn't matter if you are literally at XT speeds. I just meant both core and memory will overclock higher than stock 9800 XT speeds.

Too bad about the core. I have the same problem. I noticed it said R350 when I put the thermal compound on, so no flashing for me, either.

Guess i got lucky with mine in that aspect. Got the samsung memory and saw the R360 on the core. Dunno if i am going to flash it to an XT though. Babysteps...=]

In the event that you do, I'd suggest you check out this as you may have trouble finding a good BIOS for the 128MB Sapphire 9800 XT. I got the link in the Newegg reviews of the Sapphire 9800 Pro, so someone who bough it got it working as a 9800XT using this method.

Thread Information