Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Best video card ?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    13

    Question Best video card ?

    My comp is :
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+ BARTON
    Asus A7N8X-E-DX NF2
    1GB Kingston ValueRam 266 dc
    Maxtor 80GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB

    Wich one would be better in the 200$ range, 250$ and 300$ All in canadien $.

    XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 AGP 8X DUAL DVI & TV OUT VIDEO CARD 310$ ncix.com
    Specifications:
    Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB GDDR3/1000MHz
    BUS: AGP 8X
    Ports: TV-Out (S-Video) + 2x DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    Cable/Accessories: S-Video Cable, 2x DVI to VGA adaptor, Manual, Driver CD, Games and Softwares
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    ASUS V9570 GEFORCE FX 5700 AGP8X 256MB DDR VGA DVI-I TV OUT 217$ ncix.com
    - Specifications -

    Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce FX5700/425MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/500MHz
    BUS: AGP 4x/8x
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®1.5
    Cable/Accessories: 1 Cable, VGA via DVI Adapter, 6 CD, Manual

    MSI GFX-5700LE-TD 128MB DH Video Card w/TV-Out, Retail 135$ shoprbc.com
    - Specifications -

    Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE
    Memory: 128MB DDR
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 1.5
    Cable/Accessories: DVI to VGA Adapter, 1 Cable, 1 CD, Manual
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    MSI GFX-5700LE-TD 256MB DH Video Card w/TV-Out, Retail 169$ shoprbc.com
    - Specifications -

    Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE
    Memory: 256MB DDR
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA + TV-Out(S-Video) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 1.5
    Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, 1 Cable, Manual, 1 CD
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    Retail Box (See pics for details)
    MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 GEFORCE FX 5900XT 128MB AGP8X VGA DVI TV OUT 262 ncix.com

    ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600XT 128MB AGP DUAL VGA W/ REMOTE RETAIL BOX VIDEO CARD 267$ ncix.com
    Specifications -

    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/400MHz
    BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
    Ports: CATV In+A/V Out+A/V In
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
    Cable/Accessories: Cables and hardware included See pics
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz

    Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB Video Card w/TV-OUT, Retail 225$ shoprbc.com
    - Specifications -

    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/600MHz
    BUS: AGP 4x/8x
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
    Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, 1 Cable, Driver CD, Manual
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    ATI RADEON 9600XT 128MB DDR AGP VGA DVI-I TV OUT RETAIL BOX VIDEO CARD 249$ ncix.com
    - Specifications -

    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/600MHz
    BUS: AGP 4x/8x
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI connector
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
    Cable/Accessories: Driver CD, Manual
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    Retail box (See pictures for details)

    MSI Radeon RX9800 Pro 128MB DH Video Card, Retail 286$ shoprbx.com
    Specifications:
    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/378MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/676MHz
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA + DVI + S-Video
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
    Cable/Accessories: S-Video Cable, Driver, Games Bundle (see pics)
    Max Resolution@32bit Color:2048X1536@85Hz
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DH Video Card, Retail 266$ NCIX.com
    - Specifications -
    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO/380MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
    BUS: AGP 8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI Connector
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
    Cable/Accessories: 4 Cables, VGA via DVI Adapter, PowerDVD, Driver CD
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz



    Other Subjections if you have any.
    Thx!
    If the bass is to hard, you are to weak!! 8)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    The most powerful card of that bunch is 6600GT, it is also one of the newest generation cards from Nvidia (has features such as hardware programmable video encoding, also does mpeg4, divx encode-recode in real-time which I think is very important for lowering cpu usage) . none of the 5700 cards you mentioned are sufficient for most desired games of today (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Farcry, UT2004, Halo 2 etc..) and they lack these wonderful features. R9800 is also good but the extra price for 6600GT is more than justified by its performance and features. Soon enough we shall see software taking advantage of these features in 6600gt architecture.
    Did I mention it has HDTV support, better video quality, Shader Model 3.0 etc...
    wow i wrote features 5 times !!!
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    Agreed. The 9800 Pro and 6600GT are the only I would consider. The GT is better, and it's worth the extra money it'll cost, in this case.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ufuk21p
    The most powerful card of that bunch is 6600GT, it is also one of the newest generation cards from Nvidia (has features such as hardware programmable video encoding, also does mpeg4, divx encode-recode in real-time which I think is very important for lowering cpu usage) . none of the 5700 cards you mentioned are sufficient for most desired games of today (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Farcry, UT2004, Halo 2 etc..) and they lack these wonderful features. R9800 is also good but the extra price for 6600GT is more than justified by its performance and features. Soon enough we shall see software taking advantage of these features in 6600gt architecture.
    Did I mention it has HDTV support, better video quality, Shader Model 3.0 etc...
    wow i wrote features 5 times !!!
    I agree, however for around $70 more you can get a 6800 gt. you might be cpu bottlenecked though.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglee
    I agree, however for around $70 more you can get a 6800 gt. you might be cpu bottlenecked though.
    err.. where did u see a 6800gt for 380$ canadian?

    If newegg or buy.com shipped to canada the 6600gt would only cost only 269$ cause of our rising dollar.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    He was thinking U.S. prices. A 6800GT is around $380 U.S.

    See how much a regular 6800 costs. That's between the 6600GT and 6800GT in price and performance. It costs about $50-$60 U.S. more than an AGP 6600GT ATM, but that will chang ewhen prices on the 6600GT come down. Right now, it or a 9800 Pro are better in terms of bang-for-buck, and I'll bet you can get a 9800 Pro for cheaper than that price up there. It's only a $30 or so difference over here, and our money is worth considerably more per dollar. Plus, it (the AGP version of the 6600GT) just came out so availability in Canada should be low and prices should be high, and I'd also guess that ATI tends to be cheaper over there, too, since it's a Canadian comapany and that's the trend seen in many countries other than the U.S.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best video card ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    He was thinking U.S. prices. A 6800GT is around $380 U.S.

    See how much a regular 6800 costs. That's between the 6600GT and 6800GT in price and performance. It costs about $50-$60 U.S. more than an AGP 6600GT ATM, but that will chang ewhen prices on the 6600GT come down. Right now, it or a 9800 Pro are better in terms of bang-for-buck, and I'll bet you can get a 9800 Pro for cheaper than that price up there. It's only a $30 or so difference over here, and our money is worth considerably more per dollar. Plus, it (the AGP version of the 6600GT) just came out so availability in Canada should be low and prices should be high, and I'd also guess that ATI tends to be cheaper over there, too, since it's a Canadian comapany and that's the trend seen in many countries other than the U.S.
    Yes I was thinking USD, didn't notice the Canadian part in your post...
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •