Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Questions....right thread??

Beefy Guest

Hertz is how many times a second something happens.. ie: the frequency.. so Mr C was right... so 80 Hz means that it shows 80 fps.. :) unless you wanna get really picky, and start talking about interlacing etc.. but we won't go into that.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Hertz is how many times a second something happens.. ie: the frequency.. so Mr C was right... so 80 Hz means that it shows 80 fps.. :) unless you wanna get really picky, and start talking about interlacing etc.. but we won't go into that.. :)
    coolies:thumb:
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

The human eye/brain doesn't recognize something as choppy until it starts to dip below 25-30 fps. Thats why tv's refresh at 30 fps.

You may have a game running at 200 fps, and while your eyes don't benefit from the difference, you do have that many more points of precision when you aim within the game, or make other adjustments.

Finally, A topic I can contibute to. In a rather small way. I started my career as a monitor pincushioner. (I would place magnets on the crt in such a way as to make the visual area perfectly square or sometimes change a cap to get the same result.)
    Anyway, you all are basically right. However, dont underestimate the human eye. There are lots of people out there that can actually see the minute flickering of the screen at 60hz. I used to when I was younger. But the gist of it is, dont worry about it. I only wish that I had a descent video card. I am using a Pine 64mb mx400. Very choppy when playing halflife and other 3d games. That is where you will notice the difference.

i thought TV refresh rate was 43Hz
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Refresh Rate, and Frames per second are slightly different.

TV's have 30 Frames per second, and so no matter how you record the video, there will not be more than 30 frames of picture per second of video. It still looks to not flicker because it fades into the next picture, and since your eyes can only interpret 30 frames per second, you see it as moving smoothly.

Noticing 'flicker' is MUCH different than noticing a slow Frame rate. These are kind of different things.

Lots of good info here all generally pointing the same direction.

I think Darthtanion pretty much nailed it - go with what you are comfortable with. Provided your monitor supports it.

Here in the USA line voltage is 60 cycles therefor a flourescent bulb is flickering 60 times per second. For most folks that is quite unnoticable while others find it annoying. I personally can barely percieve it, but it is enough flicker that I wouldn't want to have similar effects displayed on my monitor.

I feel that for most folks a refresh rate in the 70 to 85 range should be perfectly acceptable (again, provided your monitor supports it).

The vast majority of people who run at a refresh rate of 100+ are just doing so for bragging rights.
    There is nothing wrong with that, it just has little practical use.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information