Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Questions....right thread??

Well, I got my new Ti4400 video card and it is great...As I was going through the manual and such there was an article stating that you should run atleast 100hz refresh rate and 120hz recommended when playing games. The manual also said to degrade the resolution until atleast you can have 100hz refresh rate if the monitor doesn't support it at the resolution you use everyday. Before reading this I never thought nothing about it. Would running at 100hz or 120hz be very noticable compared to 85hz?

I use 1024x786 with 16 bit color. At this resolution I guess my monitor will only go upto 85hz. At 800x600 I can get 100hz. Which sucks cause I just bought this monitor not to long ago. It is a 17" KDS XF-70 X-treme flat model. What do you guys run? Is this monitor not good for games? Would you consider getting another one?

What would you guys recommend for a good monitor besides the TFT Lcd ones (they are to exspensive). What would be a ballpark price range for a decent monitor that would be capable of good performance?

Gee, that was a lot of questions and as you can see a I have a very troubled brain :)

While it sounds nice to have 100 and 120 Hz refresh rates for you monitor, windows can only support upto 85 Hz

Normal desktop stuff i run 1152x864 at 32 bit colour, 75Hz refresh rate
    I run games at 1024x768 85Hz refresh rate

Ha! That is weird....why would they say a thing like that if windows don't even support it? So even tho I Have the option for 100hz and apply the setting I am still only going 85hz?

other OSs like linux for exapmle, can use 100Hz

your monitor is probably still using 100Hz but the videocard is putting out 85 or something, i dunno, now i'm just starting to guess

Ignore your manual. Enjoy your new card, enjoy your games, enjoy your recently purchased monitor. End of story. :)
    Onyx

TweakTown
    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx
    Ignore your manual. Enjoy your new card, enjoy your games, enjoy your recently purchased monitor. End of story. :)
    Damn right, who gives a crap whether it is 85hz or 100hz, the difference is less then un-noticeable. So just run at 1024x768/85hz.
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

Great! thanks guys...this is what I wanted to Hear :)

Yeah, what is it?
    Something like 60+ frames per second is percieved as smooth video to the human eye.
    Shouldn't have any problems at all with 85.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I run mine at 1028x1024x16-bit color and can get 100Hz refresh rate. It all depends on the monitor. You won't have any real problems at 85Hz.

Mr C,
    Different people have different levels of comfort on the refresh rates. I make sure to always have a refresh rate of at least 70Hz minimum. Anything lower and I can tell because it gives me a headache. Some folks do just fine at a setting of 60-65Hz. Just depends on the individual.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I believe Mr. C may have been saying that our our eye's don't have the ability to notice any difference in smoothness over 60 **frames**per sec. Not Hz.:confused:
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information