Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What route to take with upgrade?

Default What route to take with upgrade?

I currently have a Powercolor 9600 Pro, which isn't the greatest card. I'd like to upgrade, but I'm stuck in a pickle as to how far to upgrade. I'm torn between going with a midrange card like a Sapphire 9800 Pro or Gigabyte 6600 GT, or going all out for a 6800 Ultra or something equivalent. The bottom line is that I'd like to see a noticeable difference when gaming. So will I see a noticeable improvement going to a 9800 Pro or 6600 GT? If so, then I'll go with one of those, because let's face it....~$350-400 is still a lot to blow on a video card, but I'd be willing to spend the dough on a 6800 Ultra if that's what it takes to see a difference. Well, thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Default Re: What route to take with upgrade?

Yes, you will see a difference by upgrading to either of the two cards you are looking at. The 6600GT will probably be a bit better choice, but you don't make mention of your current system hardware. If it is older, then stick with the 6600GT. If it is newer and can handle the load, go ahead and splurge for the 6800 board. Even if you just get a GT model instead of the Ultra, it will do very well... BUT... That series of video card is wasted if you're running an older computer. Slower systems cannot even come close to making that video card sweat.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Oh, sorry. Here's my current setup:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Athlon XP 3200+
    512 x 2 Dual Channel DDR
    Powercolor 9600 Pro

Thanks.

Joe

Your system isn't too bad off... but I don't think it would make full use of the Ultra. I'd probably go with the 6800GT and enjoy life. I've also heard of some of those boards that can be made into an Ultra so you might want to check into that as well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I agree, save some $$ and go with a GT, you can overclock it. Some go over Ultra specs.

Don't overlook the non-GT/Ultra 6800s. They are good performers for the price. But avoid the "Value Editions" as there are only 8 pixel pipelines (compared to 12 for 6800, and 16 for the GT/Ultra versions). If money is tight, the 6600GT is a good option.

The 6800GT is meant to have the better performance, one of my mates has purchased that card and his computer runs like nothing i have seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith556
    Don't overlook the non-GT/Ultra 6800s. They are good performers for the price. But avoid the "Value Editions" as there are only 8 pixel pipelines (compared to 12 for 6800, and 16 for the GT/Ultra versions). If money is tight, the 6600GT is a good option.
    Exactly. A 6800 non-Ultra non-GT may be a good choice for this particular scenario. To avoid getting a screwed up one, just don't get the Asus. I'd say never go Asus for video cards because of their cards greatly vary from the normal specs of that type of card. They basically mislabel their cards. Any other brand should provide the proper 6800.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith556
    I've heard people flashing their 6800s to GTs and unlocking the extra pipes, not all brands work though.

Yawgm0th, I have the ASUS V9999TD 6800 card. It works fine. I double-checked the specs on the sellers site, and at ASUS as well. The card was benchmarked and compared again the results at Dan's Data. Dan was using an overclocked P4 and a Athlon64 with a 6800 card (Albatron I think). My results were within 30-80 points of Dan's results. Pretty good for a stock-speed Barton XP2800+ (2079 MHz). The 6800VE cards were made by Gainward I think. The seller I bought from has on their site the full specs of the card on the page: clock speeds, pipelines, RAM, etc.

I later checked my results against other sites benchmarks. My results were comparable when the CPUs were taken into consideration (mostly top-end P4s and Athlon64s).

Lesson: Always check the specs on what you are after. A few hours of research can save $$$s and months of grief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information