Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Ok. I'll give you that. A 6600 will outperform my card. Not by a landslide or anything, but it will. (With the OC'ing ability of the 6200, thats even arguable)

What I won't give you is the fact that it's not worth buying. Looking toward the future, which is what everyone should do when buying something, you have to take into account what will be the standard say, 9 months to a year from now. If you don't, then your just ignorant.

Now what exactly will be more valuable in a year from now?

Considering the video ram requirement trends of video games (and if you say their recommendations are silly, well, I'm gonna have to disagree) the 256mb video card wins out.

As I said, on guru, some people with 5700's can't even PLAY BF2, yet those with 5500 and 256mb's of ram can? Obviously the 5500 is more valuable. Same scenario with the 6200 vs 6600.

To the orginal poster, go with more ram on your card, it's different then it was 2 years ago. Games are starting to require it more. If you can afford a 6600 with 256mb, go for it. But definately get a 256mb card. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by relic2279
    What I won't give you is the fact that it's not worth buying.
    I'm not saying that, so you certainly shouldn't give me that. I'm saying it isn't worth buying for $150. The 6200 isn't a bad card for a sub-$100 purchase. in fact, it's the only viable choice for PCI Express systems (BTW forget about any posts here in which I recommended the 9800 Pro, as it's obviously not PCI-E).

As for where games go with RAM usage, we'll see. I think the next year's worth of games should be able to play fine on the more powerful 128MB cards. Why do I think that? Quite simply, developers won't release games that nobody can play. A year from now the majority of all gamers, and possibly even the majority of those more knowledgeable with what sort of sytem they're running, will still be using 128MB cards. Only recently have games started coming out that are practically unplayable on 64MB cards. BF:2, if I'm not mistaken, is the first to "require" a 128MB card, and pretty much anything but maybe Doom 3 can be played on one. At this point, the majority of the user base has switched to 128MB cards, so this is no problem. But 256MB is a different story, and IMO it won't be necessary for at least a year, at which point it will become like 64MB was last year: the bare minimum. I wouldn't expect it be below minimum requirements for even longer than that.

And for arguments sake; I do play bf2 on my 9600, and you turn AA and AS on through Nvidia control panel or ATI catalyst or any third party tweaking software. Yes it does not run very well, but it runs. EA's remarks on requirements are to boost graphics card sales as always. Hince the "Nividia" logo before the game starts. Best Buy prices are marked up so high and they don't even market products that are a better choice. Trust me, I've worked there for 3 years. You are much better (price and performance) with a 6600.

Example. I can buy a Belkin firewire cable for $30. With our discount (5% above invoice) it costs us $1.50. The fact that a 6200 costs more than a 6600 somewhere else (both 256MB) should be obvious enough. That's why you don't "get what you pay for". I hope that information helped. I'm also not trying to be obnoxious, just telling you why that statement was wrong. Third party retailers rape you with markups so bad.

well one main reason i was looking at that was cuase it would be easier for me to goto a store and buy it lol.. plus the bfg's OC card is clocked faster then most 6600s... plus if its 150 plus I can get a game (bf2 - $50) with it, thats like 100 for the card...

but anyway I was looking on newegg...

and I was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814145112
    CHAINTECH SA6600 Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

but im not sure what will work in my pc.. becuase it says under 'Interface' that its agp 4x/8x, but then under requirements it says you need an 8x slot..

well my mobo is only agp 4x.. so IDK...

i wish I could just afford a whole new pc...

Diamond i would get that 6600, if you are not that bad in a tight budget, i would go for a 6600gt. But to solve your question, i think it will work on your agpx4, it is saying so itself on the name.
    Motherboard- DFI lanparty 250gb UT
    Cpu- amd 64 3200 oc @ 2.1ghz
    Ram- 1gb(512x2) corsair XMS
    Video Card- Evga 6800 (unlocked shader and oc @375/780)

i was looking at the GTs..

would it be better to have a normal 6600 256mb DDR
    or a 6600GT 128mb GDDR3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by diamond-optic
    well my mobo is only agp 4x.. so IDK...
    Any AGP 4/8x card will work just as well as if you had 8x.

I must be out of it, though... I hadn't even realized they had AGP 6200s now. I'd recommend against it for AGP, though. There are more powerful (even more powerful 256MB) cards in the same price range, but then that's irrelevant at this point...

So now you have the choice of 256MB 6600, 6600GT, or 9800 Pro. The 9800 Pro is kind of an irrelevant in-between point, so I'd say not to consider that. Though, if you wanted to mix the benefits of 256MB with having a more powerful card, something like this could be a decent choice, with the only problem being that 9800 Pros don't have Pixel Shader 3.0. That said, I'd suggest a 128MB 6600GT, but I'm sure you'd be happy with a 256MB 6600, which would also be about $20 cheaper. The 6600GT will perform better in any existing game and probably any future one, but if games in the near future do indeed end up being reliant on having 256MB of RAM, then the 6600 would theoretically be longer-lasting, but I really doubt that is the case. More likely, by the time 256MB is necessary, both cards will be in the low end and it won't matter if the 6600 has 256MB.

I would suggest the higher ram, it provides your card with more longivity. People have been saying for years that there are no games that can take advatage of higher amounts of video ram, but that has since changed (see BF2 benchmarks).

I believe ram on video cards will play a more important role going forward. Nvidia showed their 6800 with 1 GIG of ram off at computex, I'm sure there was a reason.

In this day and age, to me, longivity is more valuable then performace. I learned first hand. The hard way.
    Last edited by relic2279; 06-21-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Before you jump on the 6600 or 6600GT bandwagon, pull out your motherboard manual and verify the supported voltage levels of your AGP port. Many older AGP4x boards still pushed 3.3v through the AGP port. Speeds are moot but the voltage is critical. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that the video boards you're looking at require voltage levels of 1.5v or 0.8v. If your mainboard can only pump 3.3v through the port, you'll have burned out your new toy before you even get the chance to witness its graphical prowess.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Any AGP 4/8x card will work just as well as if you had 8x.

The 9800 Pro is kind of an irrelevant in-between point, so I'd say not to consider that.
    yeah.. Ive read in plenty of places online that there isnt really much of a noticable difference in 4x and 8x.. cuase the speed there is mainly dependent on the card itself...

and also.. not really looking at ati.. Ive had geforce as far back as I remember.. heh I remember my old geforce2 gts/pro 32mb card.. I used that thing for years and years.. and didnt replace it till the 5*00 series came out, and it was still giving me really good fps in everything that I played.. plus Ive been tweaking my geforce cards constantly for as long as I can remember too.. idk.. i feel more comfortable with nvidia, dont want to start over lol.. and plus theyve never really gave me any trouble.. except for a fan dying, but that was PNY's fualt but i put a better one on afterwards anyway lol..

but thanks for all the replys... I'm gonna probably keep looking about at details of different makes but I want to at least buy/order a new card by the weekend...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information