Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Voodoo 4 life

If i were you diamond, i would go for the 6600gt.
    Motherboard- DFI lanparty 250gb UT
    Cpu- amd 64 3200 oc @ 2.1ghz
    Ram- 1gb(512x2) corsair XMS
    Video Card- Evga 6800 (unlocked shader and oc @375/780)

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Before you jump on the 6600 or 6600GT bandwagon, pull out your motherboard manual and verify the supported voltage levels of your AGP port. Many older AGP4x boards still pushed 3.3v through the AGP port. Speeds are moot but the voltage is critical. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that the video boards you're looking at require voltage levels of 1.5v or 0.8v. If your mainboard can only pump 3.3v through the port, you'll have burned out your new toy before you even get the chance to witness its graphical prowess.
    well now this has got me all confused lol...
    i cant find anything bout voltage of my board.. plus having a packaged pc (dell) seems to make hardware info a bit harder to find anyway...

knowing what my cards insert keys look like (or whatever theyre called)

my 5200u's little tabs look like this I believe:
    http://images10.newegg.com/productim...145-112-02.JPG
    ( ^ thats the 6600 card I was looking at anyway)

while just about every other card.. looks like:
    http://images10.newegg.com/productim...135-160-02.JPG
    ( ^ thats a GT, but I couldnt see any GTs that had the keys like the one above)

and Im pretty sure the different keys have to do with voltage...

I might have to open my damn pc up and pull out my card and check to see if there is any blocks or whatever in the slot..

or am I totally wrong here?

Yours uses the extended AGP. The newer cards use the smaller ones. They will fit into the same slot. Make sure you check the voltage output on your board to see if it can put the requirements for the newer cards. Like Darth said, you'll burn out your card before anything.

Yes, mainboard and video board manufacturers added in a key for voltage reasons to help prevent exactly what we're talking about. Last I heard, Dell still had pretty decent customer support so you might shoot them an email. If you provide them with the service number (located on a tag usually on the back of the machine), they should be able to let you know if the board is compatible with a modern 1.5v AGP video card. Make sure you refer to the maximum 1.5v voltage requirements of the video card so there won;t be any confusion. Otherwise you'll be looking at replacing the mainboard and most likely the PSU also since they use a proprietary 20-pin power block for their motherboards.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

well i already have put in a better psu..

but anyways I couldnt find anything bout voltage on dells spec info page bout my machine.. I might have to try to email them like you said...

if i goto the setup thingy on bootup and look at the bios settings or whatnot, might it tell me voltage in there?

It might, but Dell generally neuters their BIOS settings to the point where you have next to no control in there. You might try something like SiSoft Sandra... it may give enough information to tell you supported voltages but I don't recall offhand.
    My Toys

i'm thinking maybe this page will help me a bit...

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

i think i might need to look at my slot and compare it to the chart thingy at the bottom.. man this voltage stuff is confusing lol

ok.. what ive found.. i think this is what Im looking for..

I finally found the book that came with the pc.. and it says runs 2x/4x agp @ 1.5v...

then also on dells page for the dimension 8100 (what i got.. tho who knows if they all have the same mother boards.. but good chance they are the same or at least very similar and same agp slot specs) it says:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=327 height=20>AGP connector</TD><TD vAlign=top width=539 height=20>one</TD></TR><TR><TD width=327 height=20>AGP connector size</TD><TD width=539 height=20>172 pins</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=327 height=20>AGP connector data width (maximum)</TD><TD vAlign=top width=539 height=20>32 bits</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=327 height=20>AGP bus protocols</TD><TD vAlign=top width=539 height=20>4x/2x modes at 1.5 V</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    so I'm guessing that means its 1.5volts lol.. and thats what Im looking for correct? at least I hope so lol.. I want to order a new card asap lol

It sounds like it but I'd go ahead and pull the video board and compare the slot architecture to the picture from the site you linked to above. If everything jives then you should be safe to start playing.
    My Toys

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information