Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP




  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    That would an utter waste of money. There's no game a 9800 Pro can't handle at 1024x768 with all of the highest settings. An X800XL of any kind would let you throw a little more AA on, and that's it. If you can't run games at 1600x1200, no card more powerful than a 6600GT is really worth it, and anything over a 6800 non-GT/Ultra is overkill.

  2. #62

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That would an utter waste of money. There's no game a 9800 Pro can't handle at 1024x768 with all of the highest settings. An X800XL of any kind would let you throw a little more AA on, and that's it. If you can't run games at 1600x1200, no card more powerful than a 6600GT is really worth it, and anything over a 6800 non-GT/Ultra is overkill.
    Post a video with your 9800 pro in Dalian plant with 63 other players in the server running around on the screen, with 40+ fps, and all the highest detail at 1024 X 768, at least 2X aa and af. Or the same scene, but in the town in Gulf of Oman, with constant fighting and explosions going off. Maybe it's my cpu, but my system can't handle anything sort of like that. I've tried the new drivers, too.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Even if I weren't too lazy to do that, and most cetainly am, it would take quite a bit of bandwidth to get it somewhere, and then that place would have to be willing to shell out that kind of bandwidth fo free.

    Take my word for it. I play 64 player games, with my 9800 Pro@440/385(790DDR), 768MB of RAM, and Barton@2.2GHz, with 1280x960 (screw 1024x768) with 2xAA and everything but textures and lighting on high (those are on medium, have you tried lowering them?). I don't know that it stays at 40+ FPS in heavy fighting, but I can tell you it hasn't dropped below the mid-thirties, because I would have noticed and been irritated.

  4. #64

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Even if I weren't too lazy to do that, and most cetainly am, it would take quite a bit of bandwidth to get it somewhere, and then that place would have to be willing to shell out that kind of bandwidth fo free.

    Take my word for it. I play 64 player games, with my 9800 Pro@440/385(790DDR), 768MB of RAM, and Barton@2.2GHz, with 1280x960 (screw 1024x768) with 2xAA and everything but textures and lighting on high (those are on medium, have you tried lowering them?). I don't know that it stays at 40+ FPS in heavy fighting, but I can tell you it hasn't dropped below the mid-thirties, because I would have noticed and been irritated.
    Well how do you do it?
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Divine intervention?

    Let's see... Lots of tweaking, overclocked as said, and that's about it. If you can't handle it, I'd guess either you have some sort of software overhead problem (poor tweaking, spyware, virus, too many background apps, etc.) or one of those 128-bit 9800 Pros. A 128-bit 9800 Pro would definitely explain the problem. It was quite a while ago when they sold them as 128-bit, and it wasn't a long period of time, but it's possible.

    But like I said, what settings have you tried, exactly? Have you tried everything but Textures and Lighting on high?

  6. #66

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Well, I check for spyware everyday (adaware, spybot, ms antispyware). Most of the time adaware finds one cookie, the rest don't find anything. I have no background progs running while gaming. I've used the "reformat to relax" guide, so I think I have a good amount of tweeks. Also, I'm sure it's the 256 bit 9800pro, it's a built by ATI card, and it says right on the box. I tried playing with the settings you suggested. It was fine when barely anyone was in the server, but when there was some action going on, it wasn't smooth anymore (below 40 fps). Also, I don't have anything o/ced. BTW, you mentioned you have 2X AA. Is that AA only or AF too?
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    AA only. AF would have to be turned on in the Catalyst Control Panel, which would take 30 seconds (assuming the system could still handle it) out of my life tha it could never get back. Actually, I'll probably force some AF in the Panel after I upgrade, but for now I don't think I can afford anymore quality.

    How many processes do you have running when you open Task Manager, not including your web browser (which will be open since you'll be reading this post)?

    At what clock speeds are your CPU and GPU? Have you tried overclocking them? I haven't played the game at anything below 2.2GHz, but I know that I couldn't handle the current settings if the card were at stock speeds.

    Are you using the 1.01 patch, or is the game unpatched? (just answer the question; don't go patch it if it isn't already)

    What settings do you have under sound? Different settings can hurt performance a lot.

    And finally, are you positive that it's not just lag? Even good servers that are close to you can lag in this game. The lag can make it look like you're getting framerates in the low 30s or even the 20s.

  8. #68

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    AA only. AF would have to be turned on in the Catalyst Control Panel, which would take 30 seconds (assuming the system could still handle it) out of my life tha it could never get back. Actually, I'll probably force some AF in the Panel after I upgrade, but for now I don't think I can afford anymore quality.

    How many processes do you have running when you open Task Manager, not including your web browser (which will be open since you'll be reading this post)?

    At what clock speeds are your CPU and GPU? Have you tried overclocking them? I haven't played the game at anything below 2.2GHz, but I know that I couldn't handle the current settings if the card were at stock speeds.

    Are you using the 1.01 patch, or is the game unpatched? (just answer the question; don't go patch it if it isn't already)

    What settings do you have under sound? Different settings can hurt performance a lot.

    And finally, are you positive that it's not just lag? Even good servers that are close to you can lag in this game. The lag can make it look like you're getting framerates in the low 30s or even the 20s.
    I have 19 procesess, if I remove my mouse's process then I can't use the extra buttons on it.

    Everything is at stock settings. CPU is at around 2.08ghz, don't remember what the vidcard clock speeds are. I can't overclock, my ****ty cooling barely handels my current system (largely due to the psu, which I will be replacing in the coming months).

    I'm using 1.01, wish I didn't because after an hour in the server my fps goes to **** (unplayable, below 30). I have sound set to High, Eax turned on, and using hardware. I didn't buy my sound card for nothing, so I don't want to lower these. And I know its not lag. If I get lag it's still smooth, just that everyone around me warps around.
    Last edited by Eaglee; 07-14-2005 at 10:57 PM.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    I guess 19 isn't too bad, though I have 13 with Folding at Home taking up two.

    Your mouse's extra buttons? Pshh... you don't need them. As soon as I figured out how Logitech's implementation of their extra buttons work I said "Well, I guess the buttons on the side of my MX1000 will never be used."

    I'd say 1.01 will cause you problems until the get a new patch or you resintall the game. The memory leak problem is fairly bad, though I usually stop playing before I notice, and I have some pretty long gaming sessions.

    In any case, don't expect my settings. Your CPU is slower, your video card is slower, and you have much more software overhead (6 processes and your sound, which I certainly agree you should take advantage of). If you overclock the video card and remove some of the software overhead, you ought to at least be able to handle mosly high at 1024x768 with some very smooth playing. More likely, you could handle mostly-high settings on 1280x960 without AA.

  10. #70

    Default Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

    What's so bad about how Logitech handels extra buttons? I haven't noticed any performace decrease when I got the mouse.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •