Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 6600GT GPU Tape

Default 6600GT GPU Tape

I was replacing the compound on my GPU core and I took the white tape surround the chip off. Would this effect anything or cause future damage?
    Just wanted to know because I don't want to ruin it : \
    Asus P4P800-SE Mobo AI series (Socket 478)---P4 w/HT Tech 2.6GHz@3.2GHz Northwood Core (512k cache)---Samsung Original PC-2700 4x(256mb) sticks of DDR-Ram 2.0-3-3-7 FSB:DRAM 3:2---80GIG WD Hardrive - IDE connection---Sound Audigy 2 Card - PCI---BFG 6800GT OC - 256mb DDR3 memory, 8X AGP---Aspire Turbo Case 520 Watt PSU---48X CD-R/CD-RW Reader/Writer---48x DVD-CD-Rom Reader---Black Lian-Li Case - Model:PC-61

Default Re: 6600GT GPU Tape

It is likely a thermal tape. While it isn't very good, it is better than nothing. You really need to have something acting as a thermal interface material between the graphics core and the heatsink. Arctic Silver is best but there are others that are workable in a pinch. If you replaced it with nothing between the two metal surfaces, then you need to fix this ASAP.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: 6600GT GPU Tape

No, heh, I definetly put compound on the core to the heatsink. The tape I was describing didn't touch the core, it was just surrounding it. Like a cushion for the heatsink to sit on. I felt as if it was trapping heat and making the heatsink not touch as well to the GPU. That's why I removed it.

I would never put metal to metal
    Asus P4P800-SE Mobo AI series (Socket 478)---P4 w/HT Tech 2.6GHz@3.2GHz Northwood Core (512k cache)---Samsung Original PC-2700 4x(256mb) sticks of DDR-Ram 2.0-3-3-7 FSB:DRAM 3:2---80GIG WD Hardrive - IDE connection---Sound Audigy 2 Card - PCI---BFG 6800GT OC - 256mb DDR3 memory, 8X AGP---Aspire Turbo Case 520 Watt PSU---48X CD-R/CD-RW Reader/Writer---48x DVD-CD-Rom Reader---Black Lian-Li Case - Model:PC-61

Thread Information