Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Weird artifacts in games

Default HELP!!! Weird artifacts in games

I'm getting some really weird artifacts in games. I get some strange black figures just randomly appearing across the screen... triangles, squares, anything. I understand that this is a heat related issue. However, I didn't get anything like this before. My room is actually cooler than it usually is. And also, I didn't change anything in my pc. The only thing I have done is clean a little of the dust off the fans (with hands, didn't use any equiptment or anything). Please help me, this is really annoying.

Also I opened up the case and had a big fan blow into it and I got no artifacts. However when I turn the fan off, I get the artifacts again. I don't want to leave my case open, and I definitly don't want a noisy fan on all the time. Why would it suddenly go from no artifacts to lots when all I did is clean some of the dust off?
    Last edited by Eaglee; 08-09-2005 at 02:40 AM.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Default Re: HELP!!! Weird artifacts in games

How high is the graphics board overclocked?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    How high is the graphics board overclocked?
    It's not overclocked at all.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Odds are you jarred the HSF on the video card and it is no longer making total contact. I recommend removing it, putting some Arctic Silver 3 or 5 on it, and then putting it back on. I believe that will cure your issues.

I'm not sure about that - when I touch it it's really hot. If it was not making contact wouldn't it be a lot cooler? And where can I get arctic silver? BTW, before, I was getting some snowflake artifacts on some objects sometimes, but I didn't get the black stuff. Now I don't get the snow flakes, but instead get the black scribbles. I have to say, the snowflakes are alot less annoying.
    Last edited by Eaglee; 08-09-2005 at 04:02 AM.

Well if its really hot it is not properly doing its job. You may need a better fan for it. But as I said, I highly recommend removing the HSF off of the VidCard and cleaning it up and the GPU and than putting some Arctic Silver 5 on it. AS5 can be purchased at www.newgg.com or any other refutable hardware retailer.

Would circuit city or best buy have it? And what about the transition from snowflake to black crap part?

A few more noob questions...

If it's not making contact why can't I just screw it back in?

Why do I have to put arctic silver on?

How exactly do you properly remove the heatsink, put the arctic silver on, and put the hsf back on?

Do I have to use arctic silver or can I use any thermal compund? For example, I saw some kind of Antec compound (never knew they made compounds), is that good enough?

this seems like an obvious question - but is the fan on the heat sink still turning?
    ....I used to have a 9800pro - & the fan gave up after about 18mo.

Just something to check - you may need a whole new cooler assembly for your video card.

that happened to one of my old geforce cards. except i think i broke the fan because it started making a screetching noise... anyways, just unscrew the hsf using a screwdriver, clean off the goop you have on the hs and gpu, put the arctic sliver on the gpu, put the hsf back on it and screw it back on. if that doesn't work you can get a better hsf and replace your stock one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information