Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: will this video card work with my powersupply

Default will this video card work with my powersupply

i have a 305 watt powersupply in my dell 4700 and i cant switch them cause dell has to be a stupid and was wondering if this video card would work with it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102536

here are my specs if you need them
    dell 4700 pentium 4 2.8 with HT tech
    512 mb of ram upgrading to 1 or 2 GB
    160 GB 7200 rpm harddrive
    soundblasterlive24 bit audio
    ati radeon X300 128 MB
    one fan cpu fan
    floppydrive
    dvdx16
    dvd rwduallayer
    all powered by a 305 watt powersupply

Default Re: will this video card work with my powersupply

It'll work just fine. The X700 cards don't use much power, and that system doesn't use much power.

It will be close, but I think it wil work.

I don't know much about dell's - but are you sure that your motherboard has a PCI-E slot & not AGP?

....also, I just picked up a Radeon X700pro PCI-E card from TigerDirect for $99usd

it's a 128MB model not 256MB like the one you listed, but it is a PRO & it is 20% cheaper

I'm pretty happy with mine.

Personally I think it'll work until you start playing a graphics intense video game, then see it crash right before your very eyes and before you get a chance to save.
    I could be wrong about that though, since your already running the card you have in it without problems, you might be O.K. with that card (Figures crossed), and even though brand name systems put in small PSU's, most seem to be much more stable than your average $20 Newegg PSU, so try it and see what happens then report back in a few months after extensive video game testing.
    What exactly restricts you from upgrading your PSU anyway? Is there something priortized by Dell that makes a fit or wire connection inpractical?

Actually brand name PSUs are extremely powerful for their wattage, for the big brands anyway. My Gateway 300W PSU is over two years old and it is fine with two CD drives, hard drives, a 9800 Pro, a P4 2.0A, and and 512MB of RAM. His system with an an X700 will take up more power than mine, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Actually brand name PSUs are extremely powerful for their wattage, for the big brands anyway.

Yep, It seems that way.

Your big brands need to atleast stick in a PSU with enough stability & power to run the hardware they sell with a system or people would never recommend a system to their freinds that crashs constantly or rebuy another system from them the next year when most every other peice of hardware in the system becomes an antique, and since PSU wattage doesn't mean dittily to the novice PC user that buys overpriced common brand name systems, overrating a PSU would not help sell the system, where as someone selling a single PSU can just overrate wattage information and try to trick someone into thinking its a good one.
    Buying a PSU is kinda like buying a pack of RPG cards or something used from E-bay... You never know foresure what you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    What exactly restricts you from upgrading your PSU anyway? Is there something priortized by Dell that makes a fit or wire connection inpractical?
    Spongebob, here's what will stop you upgrading a Dell PC with a standard PSU: (Previous reply posting on another thread):

Use a non-Dell PSU in a Dell PC, or a Dell PSU in a non-Dell PC, and it is magic smoke time! Bluntly, you WILL destroy the mainboard and the PSU. Dell swapped over a few of the power leads but still use the standard connectors.

It's a conspiracy from Dell to keep you buying their overpriced and underspecced hardware. Dells are fine office PCs, but woefully inadequate gaming rigs unless lots of $$$$ are spent.
    <!-- / message -->

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith556
    Spongebob, here's what will stop you upgrading a Dell PC with a standard PSU: (Previous reply posting on another thread):

Use a non-Dell PSU in a Dell PC, or a Dell PSU in a non-Dell PC, and it is magic smoke time! Bluntly, you WILL destroy the mainboard and the PSU. Dell swapped over a few of the power leads but still use the standard connectors.

It's a conspiracy from Dell to keep you buying their overpriced and underspecced hardware. Dells are fine office PCs, but woefully inadequate gaming rigs unless lots of $$$$ are spent.
    <!-- / message -->
    You got it!

Thread Information