Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ati X700 Pro

Default Ati X700 Pro

has anyone bought the Radeon x700 PRO? I paid $50 + my old 9000 PRO and bought the ATI branded version

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10 061356&catid=10524#
    256MB x700 PRO. My stock core/memory is detected at 425/430. Do you guys know if that's normal? I am only getting half the FPS (100fps) using ATI TOOLS compare with the BFG 6600 GT OC (200+fps) I first bought.

I've been reading on a few forums and reviews to find that most stock speed for this card is at 425/800. Is my card majorly under cl****ed?

The BFG 6600 GT wouldn't work on my system properly. My system met the minimum 350Watts power supply requirement. I guess I might have just gotten a bad card. BFG would do an exchange for me but I didn't want to wait 5 business days. My graphics would get corrupted EVERYTIME I start any DIRECTX applications. I returned it and got the X700 PRO for the same price. 6600 gt had a $70 MIR
    Last edited by morningla; 09-13-2005 at 12:59 AM.

Default Re: Ati X700 Pro

430 is 860 effectively. It's using DDR3 ram so, 430 x 2. You are better off with the 6600GT because you will get better fps and cleaner images because Nvidia cards have pixel shader 3.0. Please post your system specs and what games you are playing. I play on an ATI X700Pro OC'd to 461/930 with an Arctic Silencer ver. 1; DO NOT overclock it with the stock hsf, it sucks. Also, get a new psu. A good one at least 400W.

listen i have an x700, upgrading from a integrated (yea i had a bad pc) man buying da x700 was da worst mistake i made. i was a noob when i bought tht card. wht a waste. i only get like 40fps in cs:source. in bf2 it takes like 15mins jst to get into da game. i havent overclocked yet, but u mite as well sell it or sumthin. thts wht im gunna do!!!!!!!!

Hmm.. I have an X700Pro tweaked with a good Arctic Cooler and I get 80+ fps on high settings with 2xAA and 16xAF in BF2. Your system probably can't handle the games if you're not getting good performance.

As for monringla, are you sure it's sdram? Or is it DDR? What kind of motherboard do you have? Can you run dual channel ram? If you can upgrade to 1GB dual channel, 2x512. That gives a huge increase on performance for high settings on games, especially WCIII. If you want smooth plus high res you should stick with Nvidia. I personally like sharp images at high res, especially on an LCD.

Why can't people speak English in the US anymore? It isn't hard to find those few extra keys.

Quote Originally Posted by bankbandit
    in bf2 it takes like 15mins jst to get into da game. i havent overclocked yet, but u mite as well sell it or sumthin. thts wht im gunna do!!!!!!!!
    There's obviously something very wrong with your system in some other area. Either you have very little RAM, you are using too many system resources with background programs, or you have installed drivers unproperly.. I have a 1GHz Athlon with a 9600XT (which is weaker than an X700 Pro) and 512MB of RAM, and it takes more like fifteen seconds to get into BF2. Unless you mean actual maps, which take a little under one minute for 16-player LAN games. Your loading issue is completely independent of your video card.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 6600GT or an X700 Pro with that system. Either will be severly CPU-limited in most games, BF2 included. A 9550/9600 would suit that system better and save you money on both the card and upgrades in other areas. I'd either get one of those, or save up for a new system entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by morningla
    Is that b/c of my ram?
    Possibly, but I've never experienced slowdown in War3 and I haven't played it since I still had 512MB of RAM. It's more likely your aging processor.

Aquamark is heavily dependent on system memory. That score looks right on since you are using 512MB of pc133 ram. Did you have all the background processes turned off when you ran that benchmark? Otherwise, as long as it is performing the way you like when gaming, don't worry about benchmarks. While Aquamark is probably the best for real world performance testing, no benchmark can really give you a 100% answer on how your system will run in the real world. In fact, now that I look again, that score is pretty good for your system. If you added another 512MB of ram, it would help that score and help with gaming as well. But if you are planning an upgrade within the next 6 months, I would save that money and spend it on a newer system.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Yeah. You can get a 512 stick of sdram pretty cheap so if you want to hang on a little longer just get that and run 1 gig. That will solve you video issues (for now). As for BF2, well, good luck. Your cpu is somewhat old and you really want faster ram. You can certainly still play it and probably pretty well at low to medium settings. I wouldn't go any further than a little bit more ram though. Any extra money should just be spent on a new system.

Thread Information