Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

Exclamation Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

I am playing Raven Sheild with desktop set to 1280 x 1024 @60hz. I also have the game options set to the same resolution. Is there anyway to tell what the game is really running at because the resolutions I am getting don't look anywhere like the 1280 x 1024 that it says I am at. I have the 5.7 Catalyst drivers. Any info would be a great help.
    Current Set-up: Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake 480 W silent purepower, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat., AMD Athlon 64 3500+ w/Venus 12 cooler, 2x512 DDR400, ATI AIW 9800 Pro w/Kingwin VGA cooler (it looks cool anyway), Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Gamer, 2x160 GB SATA RAID 0 HDD.

Default Re: Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

In the catalyst control panel you can set your games to the refresh rate...but i'm not sure about resolutions. Raven Sheild isn't exactly a brand new game either. If the graphics get choppier at lower resolutions then you're probably stuck with what you see. Unless they look better on another computer with the same card.

Contrary to popular belief, many games -- including some first-person shooters -- gain little to no image quality from increasing the resolution. Doom 3, for example, will look about the same at 1024x768 as it will at 800x600 with anti-aliasing on. Many games will simply increase the viewable area (which can be very useful) and make everything appear smaller. This doesn't really do much with image quality. The point is, Raven Shield is probably the kind of game where you won't see a huge difference in running it at high resolutions.

Anyway, to check simply use your monitor's control panel (as in the buttons physically on the monitor) and scroll around until you find it. It will tell you what resolution and refresh rate it's running at any given time.

Also, if that's a CRT you're using, you'll want to turn the refresh rate higher and run at 1280x960. If it can't run at higher than 60Hz, then turn down the resolution and turn up the refresh rate, because anything under 72Hz on a non-LCD will damage your eyes over time, and probably irritate them, too. If it's an LCD, then refresh rate being at 60Hz is okay (though you'll want to turn vsync on in most games), and 1280x1024 is the correct resolution.

Thanks Yawg, that's really all I am interested in, getting more viewable area. If in fact I am not getting the resolution that the settings are at (and I am pretty sure I am not because everything is a lot bigger than it should be at the resolution) is there anything I can try to fix it? I have an LCD monitor.
    Current Set-up: Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake 480 W silent purepower, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat., AMD Athlon 64 3500+ w/Venus 12 cooler, 2x512 DDR400, ATI AIW 9800 Pro w/Kingwin VGA cooler (it looks cool anyway), Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Gamer, 2x160 GB SATA RAID 0 HDD.

There's no reason it should happen. If the game is set to run at that resolution and the monitor supports it, it will run at that resolution. Check on the monitor's menu as I described to make sure it's at the resolution you set it to.

Exclamation Re: Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

Thank you Yawg. And yes, I looked at the resolution during the game and the moniter tells me that I am running 640 x 480 when the options say I am running 1280 x 1024. I have tried reinstalling the game from scratch and that does not work either. Do you have any suggestions?

Your monitor might be fooked. Try hooking up a different monitor. If you aren't using XP try getting new drivers for your monitor. Do any other games have the problem or is it only a problem with Raven Shield? After I shove this hot poker up my ass I'm going to chop my dick off.

(come on, someone has to know that line)

Quote Originally Posted by eat@joes
    After I shove this hot poker up my ass I'm going to chop my dick off.

(come on, someone has to know that line)
    No, sorry. Will you tell me, or do I have to Google it?

As for the monitor, try some Googling to see if it isn't a limitation of the game. Also try some patches for the game. Also try a different game and a different monitor, as eat@joes suggested. If you do that, you can narrow it down to either the monitor, or the game.

George Carlin. "I am the first person to ever say that!"

George Carlin is one of my favorite comics. I'm suprised I hadn't heard it before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information