Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

Default what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

With a P4 1.7 (256L2, FSB 400MHZ on a Intel D845 motherboard) and a completely old GeForce 2MX itīs time to upgrade my machine. I was thinking of just changing processor and Graphics Card. What should I upgrade first? My first choice for Video Card is a 6600GT AGP or, in the worst case, a Radeon 9600XT. Then the processor; at least 2.4ghz, with 533FSB and a 1MBL2. But in a budget limited scenario, what should I upgrade first? CPU o Graphics CArd? Or if I just upgrade the Video card Iīll be in a much better situation to play newer games like GT Legends (impossible to play on this system) or Doom3? Thanks for any replies.

p.s.: does the 6600GT needs a specific power unity? How do I know what I have? I think it's at least 350W...

Default Re: what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

I would agree that the video board will give you more immediate performance advantages, but when you upgrade the processor (and motherboard too IMHO), I'd look into a 800MHz model instead.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If you upgrade the video card to a 9550 or better, that system will handle any game out there.

Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor alone. The chipset won't run an 800MHz FSB model at full speed, and the 533MHz models are so slow that it's hardly worth upgrading. After you get the video card, save money to eventually replace the CPU and motherboard with an Athlon 64 based system.

In my opinion, you should look for either a 9700 PRO or 9800 PRO. The motherboard is definitely too outdated to spend the cash for a CPU. And if you get a 9800 PRO, it should run well in that system and give you great performance and even remain usable for a couple of more years. Your best bet would definitely wait on the CPU upgrade until you can get an AMD64+motherboard.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thread Information