Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking x800xl..

Default Overclocking x800xl..

I recently got the X800 XL from Gigabyte, the one with the passive heatpipe cooler, and I've been trying to overclock it. To overcome the relatively poor cooling of the heatsink, I've attached an 80mm fan on the short side of the board, blowing towards the back of my case. Now, the temps stay at around 35-40 degrees C in idle...
    Anyways, I'm using Omega drivers, since they have som nice features and stuff, and the Ati tray tools have an overclocking function, detecting if there are any artifacts.
    The thing is, I've already pushed the memory clock to 1100 mhz, even though the memory is rated at 1000 mhz. So, I'm wondering if not the artifact detection tool is malfunctioning or something (or is it just me being a little too carefoul/whiny;)). I've read reviews of this board, and I haven't seen anyone reaching these speeds with ordinary cooling.
    So, does anyone know a good way to find out if the card is pushed too far, or if it already is in your opinion. I'm really careful here, I know, but I just bought this stuff, and I don't want to se smoke coming out of my PC!

In case you're wondering, the core maxed out at 440 mhz, so I lowered it to 435.
    The load temp on the core lies around 60 *C max. The ambient lies at roughly 50 *C during load. Both 3dmark 05 and 03 run without any problems.

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

Default Re: Overclocking x800xl..

It isn't very easy to actually damage a video board. When you are overclocking, you can raise both the memory speeds and the core speed to levels where you start to see artifacts, then back it down just a bit. Since you've already addressed the cooling issue, you should have no problems as long as your temperatures stay in a reasonable zone.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

OK, I managed to set the clock speed to 425 and memory to 1090 without artifacts (I actually started getting artifacts at 1110 mhz, but I prefer to play it safe. I ran the artifact tester in ATT for like 15 minutes, and it didn't detect any. This was a couple days ago. Today, just out of curiosity, I ran the tester again, and got artifacts! just one or two at a time, but it never took more than 10 seconds until another one was detected! I thought WTF, the temps are only 60 degrees centigrade at maximum load, so what's the problem here! I lowered the speeds to default (400/980 mhz), but the artifacts remained. I started suspecting that the programme was detecting incorrectly, so I lowered the speeds down to 325/359 (minimum allowed), just to be sure, and still got artifacts! So, either I have totally fu**ed up my card, or the prog is faulty.
    BTW, I had installed a new version of ATT after this overclock, cuz a new one had been released.

Could this be due to Adaptive AA? I know that Temporal AA causes the artifacts detection to malfunction, so maybe the same applies to Adaptive AA?

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

I use ATITool to overclock my ATI based video board, but I don't allow those little automated things to run. I always use my own eyes. I overclock until I see artifacts then back it off. Just because your little tool shows artifacts doesn't mean a whole lot. Do a real test... play some kick-ass games. If you see artifacts, you're running the speeds of either the core or the memory too high. If it is smooth and clean, then screw the artifact tester and have fun.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information