Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGP card recomendation for AMD 1.4GHz system? (specs in message)

Default AGP card recomendation for AMD 1.4GHz system? (specs in message)

System specs:

Compaq Presario 6010US, MOBO; Micro Star MS-6553 in Tower case.
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz) processor with 128 KB of Level 1 pipeline burst cache, 256 KB of Level 2 pipeline burst cache, 266 MHz bus speed.

Video: Integrated NVIDIA GeForce2 with 32mb allotted.
    RAM: 256MBx2 for 512MB total, 266MHz DDR
    Hard Drive: 40GB UltraDMA
    Power supply: 200W
    Drives: DVD, CD-RW, 3.5
    Open slots: 1x AGP, 2x PCI

I would like a card that will support a flat panel to replace my CRT, and possibly even a TV-out port. Basically, I'd like an AGP that isn't an overkill for my system to handle while offering the best performance. And then there is the 200w power supply, it may be a limiting factor but I don't plan on OC the card. I want it to play Quake 3 smoothly as well as Warcraft3 and possibly some other older games. I don't think I can upgrade the power supply as it I believe it is proprietary Compaq and matched with the Compaq proprietary MOBO (connection types are unique from what I understand). From what I understand the MicrStar mobo was made specifically for Compaq under contract and MicroStart doesn't offer any support for it.

Cards Iím considering:

GeFORCE FX5200, FX 5700 Ultra ; ATI cards; 9200 128, 9200SE 128mb, or 9250 128/256mb could I go as high as the 9550 256mb and 9600 series if the power supply would handle it.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Last edited by MarkLC; 11-17-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Default Re: AGP card recomendation for AMD 1.4GHz system? (specs in message)

I'd say try a Radeon 9550 or 9600. Anything better will probably be too tough on the PSU, and overkill for those games anyway. Hell, WC3 doesn't really need anything besides 32MB onboard.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-18-2005 at 12:52 PM.

lol have the same CPU runs like crap and i got geforce 2 also a peice of crap

A 9600XT would be a very fast card for that system and you can even get the 9600XT All In Wonder that has a TV tuner and a FM tuner. Then you could have the TV out. They are getting cheap.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma
    lol have the same CPU runs like crap and i got geforce 2 also a peice of crap
    Funny, my 1GHz Athlon (significantly worse than a 1.4GHz Athlon XP) runs BF2 (and, obviously, everything else) just fine with its 9600XT. Your GeForce 2 is obviously going to limit you in any games, so what makes you say the CPU "runs like crap" ?

every thing runs slow like opening files even after fresh formating
    i donno my computer old maby my power supply is too small the pc orignally had a 866mhz intel and the way the case is set up every thing heat up fast

btw i got 160 3dmark03
    Last edited by Akuma; 11-18-2005 at 01:08 PM.

every thing runs slow like opening files even after fresh formating
    That's hard drive and/or RAM.
    btw i got 160 3dmark03
    That's because 3DMark uses almost entirely the GPU. A GeForce 2 is not a useful card any relatively modern gaming, so you should expect to get a low score.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That's hard drive and/or RAM.

That's because 3DMark uses almost entirely the GPU. A GeForce 2 is not a useful card any relatively modern gaming, so you should expect to get a low score.
    is it bad if when i touch the hard drive it burns my finger ?

Sure, it's hurts your finger doesn't it?
    In all seriousness, I doubt you have hard drive heat problems. I meant that your hard drive was just too slow. My 1GHz Athlon system uses an 80GB 7200RPM and 512MB of RAM, which is why it feel so responsive and performs everything acceptably.

well i got a 27gb donno the rpm and 384mb ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information