Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Little help needed with a new video card selection.

Default Little help needed with a new video card selection.

I'm working on upgrading my computer that a friend built for me about three years ago. The video card is from my computer before that so it is pretty much useless now. The motherboard is ABIT's KD7 which only supports AGP 4x. I am trying to upgrade to the point that I would have no problem running the new game F.E.A.R. My question is, should I buy a video card that is capable with this motherboard or start looking for another motherboard? And if I should buy one, which one would work?
    Other specs:1.7Ghz AMD Athlon cpu not overclocked.
    : 512 mb ddr ram
    : 380 gigs of memory

Default Re: Little help needed with a new video card selection.

When you say 380GB of memory, do you mean storage (e.g. hard drive space) instead of memory?

If you're only goal is to upgrade F.E.A.R. to a point where it will play well, than any modern AGP card is fine as long as you have a powerful enough PSU for it. The weakest card I've yet tested it on is a Radeon 9600XT, and it was able to run fine somewhere between medium and low video settings, and it was only using a 1 GHz Athlon and 512MB of RAM. You could get a $100 (USD) card and probably play the game with most settings on medium. AGP 4x is effectively identical to 8x, so don't worry about that.

However, if you can afford it, it would be very prudent to just replace your CPU, video card, and motherboad entirely. Your RAM and hard drives would still be good, although you'd be wise to consider upgrading RAM. In fact, it might be a good idea even if you don't upgrade the board and CPU, because FEAR and all of the newest, highly-graphical games are very RAM-intensive.

Just FYI, it would be around $400 to upgrade just the motherboard, CPU, and video card to something modern that would perform well. That's assuming you take your current system out of its case, but also need a new power supply.

Yeah 380 Gigabytes is my hard drive space.
    What should I look for when it comes to video cards connections? What replaces AGP?
    Also, is it worth the money to get a dual media core processor from AMD or would something cheaper be just as good?
    I appreciate the help so far.

PCI Express is the replacement for AGP. If you do upgrade it would be mostly so you can use PCI-E.

Dual-core processors aren't worth it for gaming performance alone, since basically no games make use of the second core. However, for any sort of regular multitasking you do, along with a number of other applications (especially video encoding), dual-core is certainly worth it.

Arrow Re: Little help needed with a new video card selection.

So now I have gotten some of my new system together but I am not sure what to get for the video card. I picked up a Biostar NF4ST-A9 mobo,
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/m...?name=NF4ST-A9
    with an AMD Althlon 64 3200+ 939 pin Venice 90nm. Soon I will also pick up a 560W psu.
    Now my problem is that the numbers do not make sense when comparing nVidia video cards and I am still learing what type of memory will work best with this mobo and video card. The mobo only works with DDR333 or DDR400 so it kind of narrows the search but when is comes to the other factors I am still in the dark. iam understanding waht latency is but the timing numbers that are frequently used is more greek added to the heap. I'm looking at spending about $500 for the memory and the video card together but I am at a loss for what will give me the best versatility. Please HELP! I am trying to gather all these item prior to christmas and time is running out.

Just get PC3200 (DDR400) RAM. You'd be best off with dual 1GB sticks, so go with some CAS 2.5 matched sticks from a good company. Mushkin and Corsair make some well-priced RAM that will fit this description. This should leave you just enough money to get a 7800GT, which is a very powerful card.

Talking Re: Little help needed with a new video card selection.

Wow, you must have read my mind. I just bought a 7800gt video card and picked up a Coolmax 600w true power system. Hopefully it's enough power (wink, wink). Also I picked up 1Gig (2x512 sticks) of DDR400 PC3200 Lat:2 Ballistic from Crucial. I will have some fun putting it together this weekend and seeing what this baby is capable of. It'll be a nice feeling knowing that I put it together myself. Thanks for all your help.

Hmm... You would have been better off with slower, bigger sticks. Oh well, you'll still have a powerful system.

I'll be picking up two 1gig sticks of same type after the new year. This will work until then. got to wait until a little more money comes in. You know christmas time... make the pockets a little empty. I'm shutting down my computer tonight for the rebuild. See ya on the flip side.
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
    Biostar NF4ST Nvidia 4 Chipset
    1Gig (2x512) Ballistix DDR400 (PC-3200) LAT:2 by Crucial
    GeForce 7800 GT
    Coolmax True Power 600w Psu