Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrade, or not to upgrade?

Default Upgrade, or not to upgrade?

Hello,

I'm thinking about keeping my current system for another year, but want the most i can get out of it. I've had it for about three years and im still not complaining speed wise. To me it still flies! But i want to run some upcoming games with most of the goodies turned on such as AA.I'm thinking of a new video card, something good price/performance ratio. Shuld i keep what i have now or upgrade? I am only 15 and am not rich. THanks guys!
    -Abit KD7-E
    -athlon XP 1700+ @2015Ghz with thermaltake volcano 7+ HSF
    -Radeon 9800 SE 256bit softmodded 325/580mhz
    1024MB PQI DDR400 2x512
    40GB IBM 7200rpm ide
    30GB Quantum fireball (soon)
    300watt

Default Re: Upgrade, or not to upgrade?

I would just upgrade ya video card to a ati x series to play the latest games, ya processor should b ok, or maybe double ram to 2gig.

I wouldn't bother upgrading anything. If you go any higher on RAM or video card, your processor will start holding you back. Plus, any significant upgrade will require a new power supply. I'd suggest you just save up and eventually replace the motherboard, processor, and video card. In the meantime, that system will play any modern game pretty well.

I picked up a 600w supply for 50 bucks, the only thing that holds the processor back is mutli tasking and heat, my old 9800pro 256mb struggled with aa/af turned on when playing battlefield 2 on 1024 rez, with my 1gig ddr400 ram done the job with a sata h/d but soon az i downloaded movies and started ripping dvdz it slowed alot so i got another gig and it runs smooth

thanks for your support. I played the bf2 demo and it is a very memory intensive game and have heared it takes 2gb of memory. But i dont really like it and dont play it therefore i dont need 2gb of mem. yes i do need a new ps and am going to get one soon. The only thing weird about my vid card 9800 se 256bit softmodded to a pro is that it has litttle black squares when i trn AA on. What causes this? thanks

Try running ati tool and scan for artifacts with 3d view on, and c if theres any dots popping up on the 3d view, if so slow ya core clock down a little and mem clock and c how that goes.

Thread Information