Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200 bucks max, what would you do?

Default 200 bucks max, what would you do?

Ive got 200 max to work with, these are the cards I have seen for 200 OR less on pricewatch. I'm starting to wonder if its going to become pci vs. agp.. any suggestions are appreciated. I have not looked at any ATI cards, as I have had bad luck with them in the past.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>193</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 le 128mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$170</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 ge 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$170</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 256mb pci express </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$179</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6600 gt pci express 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$200</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6600 gt agp 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As you can see, the 6600gt agp is a bit more than the pci. Is this a performance issue?

Are one of the 6800 cards better than the 6600GT?

Thanks for your ideas!

Default Re: 200 bucks max, what would you do?

One thing you should note is that you need a PCI Express port on your mainboard to use a PCI express video card. I've only seen one mainboard that was ever made that could use either a PCI express video card or an AGP video card. I'm guessing yours can only use an AGP card if you have an older mainboard, some cheap mass production mainboards that companies such as HP or Sony, ect use in their low end systems don't even have an AGP port which will severly limit the options to upgrade the video adapter, an old PCI video card might be your only option in that case, which would not even be a practical upgrade for todays graphic intence software.

The 6800 PCI express video card would have a slight edge over the rest that you listed, providing you have the hardware to use it.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-22-2005 at 02:28 AM.

i appreciate the input.

my mobo does not have pci-e and agp. its just AGP 8x and pci so I do suppose that takes the express cards out of the equation.

although now, my brother is hinting that he picked up a 64-bit mobo with PCI-E for christmas, so I might just wait.

WELL ASUS MAKES A MOTHER BOARD THAT CAN USE BOTH PCI EXPRESS AND AGP BUT ITS ONLY FOR SOCKET 478 i think its p4v something but it seems nice

Wouldn't reconmend it.

I would get the 6800 pcie 256mb.

Thats nice iviuz, i am sure it would work great with his AGP motherboard ^_^.

Lol, agp is getting old, time to upgrade, always go something better while you have the chance i say ;)

And that helps him alot, espicially since he has an AGP mobo.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

If i was him i would buy a mobo instead of g/c, prob cheaper, then he will be set for a beasty card. He should keep the card hes got. In 1 years time he could save a fair bit, more cards come out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information