Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: x800gto flashes to X800XL. true?

1. Default x800gto flashes to X800XL. true?

the card i have is a Sapphire x800gto (256mb ddr3, R430 core, 12 pipes, current clock: 460 core/ 510 memory [straight from atitool, and i do have my card set up with water cooling and heatsinks for the ram]) i've read that it could be flashed to a X800XL bios which would have 16 pipes. If this is actually true would it be a good move to flash to 16 pipes, not sure what cons there may be
    GBRRICCI

Default Re: x800gto flashes to X800XL. true?

I dont c y, they use the same core.

It is worth a try, i haven't looked into it, but if it is succesful then you saved money and you have a good card, and if it doesn't work..well you can always flash back.

4. Default Re: x800gto flashes to X800XL. true?

Heh i just tried flashing with a sapphire x800 xl bios from http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ and it didn't work. after restart it showed a fubared screen so i flashed back to my previous sapphire x800gto bios. not sure why it didn't work. both use R430 cores. what else might contribute to making it not work? could the memory modules be different even though it's from the same company?
    GBRRICCI

Sometimes they use different memory modules for different cateogories of cards, but that is completely irrelevant from this issue. Mybe its because your one of the unlucky owners of a x800gto with pipelines that can not handle 16, therefore its just a x800xl that they turned into a gto.

I got a x800pro 450/475, then i flashed to a xt plat edit running 520/560 i had 12 pipes, now 16 on a r420 core, i dont c y it wouldnt work for your core, did you get the correct files to flash with n stuff ?

With any video BIOS upgrade even though they maybe the same basic core there is a reason why certain cores have pipelines (and memory controllers) shut down.

Once the cores are separated from the wafer they are then fault tested and binned accordingly (piplines/memory controllers registering any errors at all are shut down).

Realistically only about 1 in 5 will actually handle this being done with good stabilty and 1 other of that 5 maybe reasonably stable but the other 3 won't and of those 3 there's a 50/50 chance that you'll totally right off the card.

This is the reason that they state that you do this entirely at your own risk.

8. Default Re: x800gto flashes to X800XL. true?

hehe oh well this video card will suit me perfectly for a while, and with water cooling and 2 thermaltake heatsinks on each ram chip (1 was no big enough to cover the entire chip) along with a 120mm fan blowing air over the entire card i will be to overclock it quite nicely :D
    GBRRICCI

Thread Information