Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    What are Unlockable pipelines? How do they help or hurt you?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,364

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Unlockable pipelines are good as long as the actual pipes are good. Most of the 6800GS AGP cards have 4 unlockable pixel pipelines and that improves performance. The PCI-E versions do not have these hidden pipelines as they use a different core.

    Basically, they all come with 12 Pixel Pipelines. The AGP version has 4 hidden pipelines that brings the total to 16. Sometimes, the extra pipelines are no good and you cannot either open them, or they just malfunction and you would have to close them.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    What kind of power supply would you need for this? I have a 500W in my older machine and my 6600 AGP did not work. I have about 6 HD's in this system plus 2 DVD-RW's. It's a nv a7n8x-E Deluxe based system.

    Once I get this 7800 gs or 6800 gs it'll become my wife's machine. (ok, it'll become mine, since she's taken over the pci-e machine hahhahahah 7800gtx for solitaire can you dig it!!!)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Quote Originally Posted by raveolution
    Once I get this 7800 gs or 6800 gs it'll become my wife's machine. (ok, it'll become mine, since she's taken over the pci-e machine hahhahahah 7800gtx for solitaire can you dig it!!!)
    Talk about overkill

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,364

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Quote Originally Posted by raveolution
    What kind of power supply would you need for this? I have a 500W in my older machine and my 6600 AGP did not work. I have about 6 HD's in this system plus 2 DVD-RW's. It's a nv a7n8x-E Deluxe based system.

    Once I get this 7800 gs or 6800 gs it'll become my wife's machine. (ok, it'll become mine, since she's taken over the pci-e machine hahhahahah 7800gtx for solitaire can you dig it!!!)
    This makes absolutely no sense at all. Why in the world would you build a system like that and then use it that way. Must be nice to have money to toss away. If she only plays solitaire, get a 6200 for this PC and take the 7800GTX back. Just plain a waste.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    This makes absolutely no sense at all. Why in the world would you build a system like that and then use it that way. Must be nice to have money to toss away. If she only plays solitaire, get a 6200 for this PC and take the 7800GTX back. Just plain a waste.
    No duh. I'd never trade in the GTX because of when I do get to use it occasionally. I want the a7n8xe-deluxe/7800GS as a backup that I can always use. So what kind of power supply does one need for this??

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Maybe 480-500W from a good brand and with really good 12v rail ratings. Hell, you might even want more just because your system has so much running off it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    The derned thing is choking on a 500W. What is 'rail' ratings?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    6800gs for sure.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

    Quote Originally Posted by raveolution
    The derned thing is choking on a 500W. What is 'rail' ratings?
    Wattage means nothing without a good brand and good rails.

    If you look at a spec chart or sometimes the label of the CPU, you'll see 3.3v, 5v, 12v, etc. and related amperage ratings, e.g. 25a on the 12v. For a video card like this, you'll probably want either a PSU with dual 12v rails (it will be listed as 12v1 and 12v2) or with a single 12v rail of at least 30a.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •