Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Crossfire Configuration

Default Crossfire Configuration

I finally put together my new crossfire rig but I can't enable crossfire.

Athlon X2 4200+
    ASUS MVP-A8R
    ATI X850 Crossfire Edition
    Sapphire X850XT PE

It all works, but I just can't enable crossfire in the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

I checked ATI's site and it listed cards that could be used in configuration (it called them 'crossfire ready' cards, not the crossfire edition ones that have the DSM-9 port). The Sapphire X850XT PE was not on the list. Now I though any old ATI card could work in crossfire mode as long as it's series (x800, x850m etc...) matched the crossfire edition card.

Do I need to buy a Crossfire Ready card? And if so, any recommendations?

Default Re: Crossfire Configuration

I'm not too sure about it, but it might not be working because the cards have different bioses. I know the master card will have a different one than the slave but what i mean is the master is a genuine ATI while the slave is made by Shappire so the master card might not be able to see it because it only looks for genuine ATI slave cards. You could try flashing a genuine ati bios on to the shappire card and see what happens. Just make sure to back up ur original one so if something goes wrong u can put it back on.

I believe Nvida cards were the only ones with the BIOS matching issue, which has since been corrected with new drivers.

You need a Master Crossfire card and a Slave crossfire card + the Crossfire cable that comes with the Master Crossfire card. Without the Master Crossfire card you will never get Crossfire enabled.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Once you select the crossfire configuration in the CCC you must reboot your PC to enable it.

You guys totally misunderstood the problem, but now that I read my original post, I relaize I didn't make it that clear.

Crossfire Edtion = Master
    Crossfire Ready = Slave

I have a Crossfire Edition (master) card installed, no problem with that.

My standard Crossfire Ready (slave) card is what I am concerned about. I don't know if it's compatible. If it can even be used in crossfire mode.

I bought it about a year and a half ago. It's a Sapphire X850XT Platinum Edition PCI-E card.

Listed on ATI's site are certified crossfire ready cards, i guess meaning slave cards that are guarunteed to work with crossfire edition (master) cards (http://www.ati.com/technology/crossf...crossfire.html) My card doesn't show up on that list. Do I need to get one of those cards or should what I alrady have work.

BTW, here is the error message that I'm getting:http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/...ages/drv3s.jpg

If any of this information is wrong please correct my. I may not be fully understanding the crossfire setup.

Another theory I have is the cards might be in the wrong slots. I have the master card higher up and the slave card down below. It's on an ASUS MVP-A8R (BIOS 0402) motherboard

Okay. That was the problem. I had the cards in the wrong slot. It's funny. The ASUS manual said to do it the right way. But the ATI manual said the opposite.

I've got a new problem though. I checkt eh 'enable crossfire' box but after a few seconds it unchecks itself. If I check it and hit 'ok' real quick, the whole crossfire screen goes blank.

I'm gonna reinstall the drivers and CCC to see if there's any improvement.

I forgot to mention about the slots but once you check that box you must reboot straight away for the setting to be enabled.

Thread Information