Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

Default Re: every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

Just a few hours ago I upgraded a friend's CPU HSF so he could overclock his CPU more. However, the chipset heatsink was in the way of the massive cooler I had picked up (for a good price). So... I pried the damn thing off the board. To replace it, I had a spare 40mm heatsink that was from my fried Gateway motherboard. Right before I pulled an Office Space on the board, I removed the chipset cooler thinking "you never know... maybe I'll have use for it someday." After I tried to install the HSF, I discovered a capacitor was in the way, and I could really remove that. So I gave up and switched to a smaller heatsink. Now I had the problem of its fan being damaged, which cause the whole motherboard to vibrate loudly. I went to replace that, but I didn't have any screws to put the replacement fan on. Being the resourceful person that I am, I used Scotch tape. I couldn't find any other tape.

That's probably the most enjoyable "mod" I've done, although I am quite pleased with the fact that my two better machines both use CPU air ducts (the best way to do air cooling IMO) made with a dremmel rotary tool (ripping through good acrylic windows in the process), poster board and duct tape (God forbid duct tape be used on a duct).

The next mod I'm considering is a cooling mod for a passively cooled FX5200. I think I'm going put a regular (not low profile, either) 80mm fan right on the heatsink. I'll probably use rubber cement or hot glue to hold it on there. I'm also considering modding the Antec Aria I use for my HTPC to have an intake slot fan in front. Right now, I have a slot fan coming out the optical drive bay and acting as intake for the computer. I have some wadded-up foam from a motherboard package holding it there and stopping vibrations, as well as a twist tie inside the fan itself because the fan vibrates loudly if there isn't something holding the chassis from the fan blades.

yo yo
    i also a member of dfi.street.com im "xtremegamer"
    clik on the link below for my pics of my cold air intakr setup...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31506
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

sweet setup bf2nut i was thinking once about doin somine like that but i didnt have time and any way i got a whole bunch of fans so its fine right know exept for my graphic card which idels at 53c here are some pics oh and i havent burnt any computer parts yet but i have burnt alot of rc-cars mother boards and moters by over powering them with a higher voltege they just go up in smoke lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images every one of us here is a scientist in training :p-dsc00461-jpg 
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (oc to 2.8ghz FX57+ speeds)(fsb is 266)
    ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    1gb ddr400 Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) timings 215mhz (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800gs 256mb agp, with ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
    ATX Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Seagate sata 80gb harddrive
    Maxtor pata 80gb harddrive
    500watt Rosewill powersupply
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
    Custom Water cooling dual 120mm raddiator with a PolarFLO cpu block
    __________________________________________________ _______________

and here are some more
    Attached Images Attached Images every one of us here is a scientist in training :p-dsc00464-jpg 
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach

Talking Re: every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

nice zach!
    dude food for thought,i scored 800 more points in 3dmark 03 when i got my ocz powerstream 520 going to my old 6800ultra , my freind didnt belive me so he got 1 with his x800pro and he got 900 more points ,we both fainted pricey but u can take p\s from pc to pc threw the years.
    btw i like your pc zach ,what case is that,l33t!! =) beefy comps like yours need rock solid 12 volt rails to the video cards,antec\ocz\pc power brans and comparabe $70+ etc really makes a massive differnce,pc actually boots up faster!.nice thing about the ocz powerstream series is that 12v,3.3v,and 5 volts rails are all adjustable with lil screws in the back of the p\s itself as u tweak them up in the bios u simply turn the screw.again nice pc and what case is that.ty btw for your compliments on mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817711002
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-05-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

my case is in my sig but ya bf2nut its a thermaltake Tsunami Dream i got it at a small computer store near my house i know the people there and they told my they where goin out of business soon and to come a while latter and see if they changed anything well anyway he had the case marked at $130 dollars and he lowered the price to $70 and so i had 70 in my pocket and bought it right there and then no tax too lol i got a killer deal as for the psu pricy but ill think about it i heard antec was also good and thats weird 800 more points ok 03 with a new psu sweet and my old psu dont laugh it was a 350watt its not as good as my 500 watt right know oh
    Zach

I don't know what previous specs were, but if the video card was recieving an insufficient amount of power, the drivers would automatically underclock it, thus explaining and large point differences. It would also underclock it if it were too hot, any the PSU might help case airflow more than the previous one did.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 04-06-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Talking Re: every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

well said yawg...im starting to like you

ps...for all the ppl that posted replies,i thank you very much but ma ribs are still killing me,lmao roflmaochoppers down lmao highway!!!!!
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-06-2006 at 07:36 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information