Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Video card upgrade




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Video card upgrade

    The motherboard will not have problems with different size sticks. I would highly recommend against getting 256MB sticks. It's just not a significant enough amount of RAM to take up an entire RAM slot in a modern PC.

    The 9800 Pro is a good card for what you're doing, and $65 + shipping is a pretty good price.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: Video card upgrade

    well....
    lets say there is a highway of 4 lanes and all 4 lanes are packed and then they have to all merge into 1 thats what bottlenecking is like to your memory controller.so its like a bottle being full of water, but the water comes out slow because the neck of the bottle is skinny(4-3 sticks vs 1 big 1 or 2 big ones).0ther notes are if u run 3 sticks u take the dual channel out of the picture.ever notice on the 4 slot boards they have lets say 2-orange 2-blue?well the colors represent syncrounuos dual channel mode with the 2 slots loaded with ram,hence dual channel.

    mem config 1 set up like this..

    |256mb||256mb| |256mb||empty| so so

    should change it to somthing like this for true dual channel with 4 slot baord

    |512mb||empty| |512mb||empty|

    having 3 sticks of ram vs 2 in dual channel is slowing you down.... take the middle stick out.....your best bet is to just get another 256 stick and runin dual channel with 4 sticks of 256 for atotal of 1 gig... o wait u have 3 dimm slots...mmm get 3 matching 256 or 512,s ,heck there only $30-$40 each now...keep the 256,s as backups?.my friend has your boards type kt600(3 slots)and he got this kit i suggested below and was blown off his chair... and i mean blown away.if i were u...i would pause with buying anything ,run what u have for now,save lil more money grab a 2 gig kit.for a mere $130 a 2 gig kit equates out to $65=1gig\$32.50= 512\$16.25=256 prices....hmmmm get ma drift u save and gain\futreproofing..but what do i know heh

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146366



    i bought 2 of these kits =0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227210




    2 gig kit page in full

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...47&Order=price
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-06-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: Video card upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by bf2nut
    well....
    lets say there is a highway of 4 lanes and all 4 lanes are packed and then they have to all merge into 1 thats what bottlenecking is like to your memory controller.so its like a bottle being full of water, but the water comes out slow because the neck of the bottle is skinny(4-3 sticks vs 1 big 1 or 2 big ones).0ther notes are if u run 3 sticks u take the dual channel out of the picture.ever notice on the 4 slot boards they have lets say 2-orange 2-blue?well the colors represent syncrounuos dual channel mode with the 2 slots loaded with ram,hence dual channel.

    mem config 1 set up like this..

    |256mb||256mb| |256mb||empty| so so

    should change it to somthing like this for true dual channel with 4 slot baord

    |512mb||empty| |512mb||empty|

    having 3 sticks of ram vs 2 in dual channel is slowing you down.... take the middle stick out.....your best bet is to just get another 256 stick and runin dual channel with 4 sticks of 256 for atotal of 1 gig... o wait u have 3 dimm slots...mmm get 3 matching 256 or 512,s ,heck there only $30-$40 each now...keep the 256,s as backups?.my friend has your boards type kt600(3 slots)and he got this kit i suggested below and was blown off his chair... and i mean blown away.if i were u...i would pause with buying anything ,run what u have for now,save lil more money grab a 2 gig kit.for a mere $130 a 2 gig kit equates out to $65=1gig\$32.50= 512\$16.25=256 prices....hmmmm get ma drift u save and gain\futreproofing..but what do i know heh

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146366



    i bought 2 of these kits =0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227210




    2 gig kit page in full

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...47&Order=price
    bump up plz
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Video card upgrade

    The VIA KT333 chipset does not support dual-channel. It doesn't come into the equation.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: Video card upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    The VIA KT333 chipset does not support dual-channel. It doesn't come into the equation.
    was refering to the 4 slot boards not kt600 boards,sorry for misunderstanding i was using 2 sep mobos in that exlanation before,and my buddys kt600 is using the 2 gig kit and its amazing....yes your right sir,no dual channel for teh kt600but overclockers love the pc3200 memory headroom on pc2700 kt600 mobos
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-07-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: Video card upgrade

    [QUOTE=catdug]I am wanting to upgrade my pc but on very tight budget. Please read my sig for my current rig. I want to upgrade my video and ram mostly. I am contemplating getting a Radeon X1600pro card from Newegg. Is it wise to get this card when I'm still using an old xp1800+ AMD cpu? If not, then which card would be recommended with my config for less than 130 bucks? Also, would it be wise to get a stick of 512mb of ram to go in my third slot when I'm using 2 sticks of 256mb in the other 2 slots for a total of 1024mb of ram? I could upgrade my cpu but I don't really want to mess with flashing my bios to be able to go bigger than a xp2200+. With a flash I could go up to a xp2800+. Thanks, Doug...
    • AMD Athlon XP 1800+ <---bottleneck
    • Albatron KX400+ PRO MoBo w/ VIA KT333 chipset & USB 2.0
    • 360 watt PSU <---upgrade needed to true 400watt minumum time
    • 256mb X 2 PC2700 Samsung DDR ram
    • PNY NVIDIA GeForce4 ti4200 w/64mb DDR Video Card
    • SONY 52x12x52 CDRW
    • LG 16x DVD-ROM
    • USB 1.1 PCI card
    • Hauppauge Win/TV capture card
    • floppy drive
    • Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 gig HDD
    • Wireless-B Linksys Router w/1240mps dsl
    • KDS 17" flatscreen crt
    • Logitech optical mouse
    • Cyber Acoustics 40 watt speakers w/sub
    • WIN XP HOME OEM w/SP2
    • 3DMark2001SE score: 9661 @ all stock clock settings w/detonator 43.00's
    • CPU temp@43C w/stock HSF
    • System temp@33C w/one 80mm front intake, one 80mm side intake(blue LED), and one 60mm rear exhaust fan
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-07-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Video card upgrade

    Okay, I guess I'll go with a stik of 512 ram so I'll have all 3 slots filled with 256, 256, and 512. Isn't that better than what I have now? Remember I'm on a very tight budget, so scrapping my 256's for 2 stix of 512 is out. Also, what about my xp1800+ cpu. Should I go bigger(2200+) or is it really gonna matter?
    • Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    • GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    • COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply
    • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    • One EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
    • SONY 52x12x52 CDRW
    • LG 16x DVD-ROM
    • Zonet 4+1Port USB2.0 PCI Card
    • Hauppauge Win/TV capture card
    • Generic floppy disc drive
    • Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    • Wireless-802.11B Linksys Router w/2200 mbps dsl
    • ViewSonic VA721 17" flatscreen lcd monitor
    • Logitech optical mouse
    • Cyber Acoustics 40 watt speakers w/sub
    • WIN XP HOME w/SP3 OEM
    • 3DMark2001SE score: 25182, 3DMark03: 15040, 3DMark05: 9538
    • CPU temp@28C w/stock HSF
    • Black Generic Case w/self cut side window w/one 80mm front intake, one 80mm side intake(blue LED), and one 60mm rear exhaust fan

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Video card upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by bf2nut
    was refering to the 4 slot boards not kt600 boards,sorry for misunderstanding i was using 2 sep mobos in that exlanation before,and my buddys kt600 is using the 2 gig kit and its amazing....yes your right sir,no dual channel for teh kt600but overclockers love the pc3200 memory headroom on pc2700 kt600 mobos
    I know what you were referring to, but the person in question has a board with the KT333 chipset.

    I'd say your CPU is fine. If you get a game that limits your CPU a little more, then I could see an upgrade, but it's probably not worth upgrading the CPU on a dead platform.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: Video card upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by catdug
    Nobody bashed you, bf2nut. I was just CORRECTING you. Don't be so sensitive, man. And I DO appreciate your help. Anyway, I just bought a 9800 pro on eBay last night for $65.00 + s&h. So, thanks for all the replies, guys. I think I'll get me another stick of 256 mb of ram(3 X 256mb) instead of the 512 mb, just in case my motherboard wants all the same size stix. You think it makes any diff? Like in having one stick of 512 and two stix of 256(1024mb total) as opposed to having all the same size ram? Also, what about upgrading my cpu? Is there really any need in that? Or will I just be beating a dead horse?
    np,
    i would grab a 2 gig kit of pc3200 for $130...be done 4 ever!

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220079
    u could even overclock your xp1800 to a 2500+ easily with all the headroom pc3200 will offer u on a pc2700 mobo like yours,but thats just me:p
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Video card upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by bf2nut
    np,
    i would grab a 2 gig kit of pc3200 for $130...be done 4 ever!

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220079
    u could even overclock your xp1800 to a 2500+ easily with all the headroom pc3200 will offer u on a pc2700 mobo like yours,but thats just me:p
    I can't oc my proc that much without exotic cooling and besides my mobo doesn't support keeping my pci slots @ 133mhz so when I crank up my fsb, it could ruin all my cards and couldn't it also do damage to my HDD? Also, I just spent 74 bucks on a vid card. If I spend 130 bucks on mem, then I might as well have bought a new mobo and everything else. I know a lot of you probably don't understand, but when I say tight budget I mean TIGHT budget. So now I guess you might be thinking, "hell, man you might as well give it up, why do you even have a PC?" Well, I still like building systems every few years and maybe I will build a much more powerful system in a year or two, but for now, I just want to get all I can out of what I have until better days come along. Anyway, I do really appreciate all of your suggestions, and I am learning alot on this site, just as I did back when I built the system I have now a few years ago. It is a very, very stable one and I am very satisfied with it but I have a few dollars and I just want to spend it wisely. :o).
    • Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    • GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    • COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply
    • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    • One EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
    • SONY 52x12x52 CDRW
    • LG 16x DVD-ROM
    • Zonet 4+1Port USB2.0 PCI Card
    • Hauppauge Win/TV capture card
    • Generic floppy disc drive
    • Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    • Wireless-802.11B Linksys Router w/2200 mbps dsl
    • ViewSonic VA721 17" flatscreen lcd monitor
    • Logitech optical mouse
    • Cyber Acoustics 40 watt speakers w/sub
    • WIN XP HOME w/SP3 OEM
    • 3DMark2001SE score: 25182, 3DMark03: 15040, 3DMark05: 9538
    • CPU temp@28C w/stock HSF
    • Black Generic Case w/self cut side window w/one 80mm front intake, one 80mm side intake(blue LED), and one 60mm rear exhaust fan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •